requesting a dive boat discount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What do you think of asking for dive boat discounts? Say I'm going to be in Thailand/Colombia/Philippines/somewhere in Central America for 6 weeks (I work a 6 week rotation and chill out abroad 6 weeks in a cheaper location the next 6 weeks), would it be outa line to contact operators, explain I want to dive twice a week (2 tanks a day) for 6 weeks using my own gear and ask for a discounted 24 dive package? I'm totally flexible as far as avoiding weekends or when cruise ships are in town.

I probably sound like a cheapo here but I do have to watch the spending, this allows me to travel 6 months a year (COVID year excluded).

You should ask, many operators give discounts for multiple days of diving.

You should definitely enquire about any discounted dive packages they may have. And I wouldn't worry about cruise ships right now, there won't be any around for quite a while...

some here will shame people when they discuss asking for discounts. especially during covid. however, as already mentioned above, most shops do offer discounts on multiple days of diving. you don't get if you don't ask. and the shop always has the option to say no. don't feel bad asking.

As others have mentioned, it never hurts to ask, worse they can do is say no.... However, I'll add that if they are will to bargain a bit, the tip amount should go up. Personally, business is business and margins are margins, but I rather see tip money go into the individuals' pockets. ...just my 2 bar.

Probably not helpful in your situation, but I find you get better discounts on quantity vs. frequency. I'm bringing five divers as opposed to I'm going to do five single diver trips.

What's the worst they can say? No?

Not asking is equal to them saying no. It is just business and anyone who was insulted by my asking is someone I am not likely to do business with.

Anytime I am buying multiple units of anything, especially more than the usual number of units, I will ask about volume discounts.

You can make a deal for at least x number of dives over the next period of time, guaranteeing some minimum, prepaid, and that you can be bumped from any dive some period of time ahead if the dive would be otherwise full. That way the operator knows he will get the revenue from what would otherwise be an empty seat. Just set the minimum at something achievable in case you end up not diving on weekends and lose an unusual number of days during the week due to bad weather or other cause.

Look at it from the operator's viewpoint. The marginal cost of an additional diver is minimal, only really the cost to him of filling a tank. The same number of guides will be there, a group of 3 or 4 is still one guide. (Some operations pay the guides by tank count so consider that, others have them on salary/wage or set amount per dive.) Any revenue over his marginal cost is a contribution to overhead and profit so his financial incentive is positive if he covers his marginal costs. He may want a confidentiality agreement so his services are not seen as devalued.

Back
Top Bottom