Request info on Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Free_Flow

Reaction score
Any info on Belize

Planning on going there in Feburary doing some diving.

Any good/bad experiances, dive conditions or hotels, dive boats etc

Thanks

Russ

send a PM to Mo2Vation, he just got back from a week's vacation in Belize
and loved it

Where, in Belize, are you going?? Google Belize and you will find tons of data. Try www.ambergriscaye.com and read the message board. Do your research before spending the extra $$$ to dive the Blue Hole. It can be a long rough ride for 12 min of bottom time if the wind is blowing. Usually 2 other dives on the trip that are very nice but all this depends on the wind and where you are based. I noticed that you are going to Utila. Where are you staying and who are you diving with? We were there last Jan and in Belize, for the 2nd time, in March. Both very good places to dive but also very different.

Planning to dive with laguna beach resort

going to pick up a buddy there, seeing it is peak season.

also going to the mainland to see the rainforest

hoping to photo some whale sharks

going to southern belize for the diving and the jaguars

Free_Flow:

Where is the Laguna Beach Resort?

You say south... Placencia? Try Robert's Grove. They are supposedly going to set up operations on one of the barrier islands specifically for the whale sharks.

Free_Flow:

Feb is a bit early for the whale sharks. The season starts in March and peaks around April and May. You may get lucky though. As for jaguars.....it's great hiking in the Cockscomb Preserve but more than even whale sharks, you'll be incredibly lucky to see a jaguar...... unless you go to the zoo. I have seen cougars here on our farm which is about 8 miles from Cockscomb. They've eaten four dogs here in the last year or so.

I have been to belize twice and have dove ambergris, placencia, glovers atoll and lighthouse reef atoll (including 2 dives --on different days) at the blue hole. I thought the BH was a pretty cool dive--I loved swimming in and out of the stalagtites. Ambergris is pretty touristy ( compared to Utila), but we really liked Placencia. The diving is more pristine out on the atolls (and I like the fact you can't see the bottom in many places). The one place I would NOT recommend is Lighthouse Reef Resort--we were very disappointed with the dive ops when we went in Nov. 2004. If you like caves and a bit of adventure, there are some awesome cave trips in the western part of the country. We have explored 4 different caves there--all amazing. Good luck planning!

Free_Flow:
is there a Laguna Beach Resort in Belize? Only know of the one in Utila Honduras.

We stayed at Blackbird Cay /key last year and loved it. Right on the reef, and way out so very private. Excellent food and great diving. The cabins we used had roofs, but you could opt for the thatched cabins if you like. Our cabin was clean, hard topped, large and comfortable. You might want to reconsider. Small operation keeps things good for diving. The blue hole was worth going to, and the wall dive we did on the second dive was excellent. plus the blue footed boobies were a great addition to our trip. Salt water Croc comes out almost every night looking for food, so you can watch him when you get bored. Did I mention the food was excellent?

Free_Flow:
Any info on Belize

Planning on going there in Feburary doing some diving.

Any good/bad experiances, dive conditions or hotels, dive boats etc

Thanks

Russ

Russ: Try seasports Belize we used them and were very satisfied. Linda the owner is very nice and they keep th divegroup small. www.seasportsbelize.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom