Reproducing coral 40x faster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coztick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Grondar Paslow

The link speaks of a new method for growing corral.
Sounds promising!
Funny how some of the most profound discoveries are stumbled upon purely by accident...

I remember reading about this, it sounds amazing!
It gives me some hope that we will be able to restore a lot of coral reefs that have been destroyed or significantly reduced...

What i find the most amazing is how he explains that the coral, after being planted on a rock , will eventually grow and recognize the other part as himself and re-attach into a bigger one. - I mean, that's just incredible, i did not know corals were capable for such things.

Makes me wonder, how much funding is required for such a thing? starting more projects like this can be a good idea!

Imagine reefs recovering in a decade instead of a lifetime...
Maybe research spawned by this will lead to a therapy of sorts for dying or diseased corral.
Oh, as the OP, I declare this thread a "no pessimism" zone.
Ok, back to it.

Thanks, Kevin

Imagine reefs recovering in a decade instead of a lifetime...
Maybe research spawned by this will lead to a therapy of sorts for dying or diseased corral.
Oh, as the OP, I declare this thread a "no pessimism" zone.
Ok, back to it.

Thanks, Kevin

That could really be a dream, not strictly from the diving side, it will be so much better for the ocean in general to have some of its coral reefs back.

Until some hungry parrot fish starts to munch on your newly planted corals :shocked: (need a way to keep them out lol)

That could really be a dream, not strictly from the diving side, it will be so much better for the ocean in general to have some of its coral reefs back.

Until some hungry parrot fish starts to munch on your newly planted corals :shocked: (need a way to keep them out lol)
There may be less danger of that than you think, in some places. The Dominican Republic recently banned the sale of parrotfish because they were severely overfished.

Back
Top Bottom