Replacment Oceanic Computer O-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich (UTAH)

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have 2 Oceanic dive computers, Data Plus and Prodigy. And it is time to replace the battery hatch O-rings.

Years ago, when I replaced the batteries for the 1st time, I painfully purchased the battery replacement kits that came with the batteries, a new battery hatch o-ring and the silicon grease. They weren't cheap.

After that, the LDS repair tech at a different store said I didn't need to replace the battery hatch o-ring every time, just every couple years as the o-ring slowly loses it's shape and ability to seal. So I would purchase the medical grade duracell batteries (DL2032) and keep the o-ring lubed with silicon grease. The medical grade batteries are available for $2 each locally.

Well, the LDS doesn't have the battery kits in stock, which means ordering and waiting. Not a real big deal, but the kits are expensive. Or I can order directly from Oceanic online and pay a ridiculous amount of money for 2 battery kits PLUS shipping. ($50 +) I've looked at some of the online dive stores and haven't seen the battery kits in their inventory.

Is there a source for high quality viton (I assume they're viton) o-rings for these oceanic computers? or perhaps a MUCH more reasonably priced source to purchase the battery kits?

I doubt the Orings are Viton, they are most likely nitrile with a durometer of around 70. While I would not use plumbing grade Orings for regs, I would think they would be fine for computers. If the original Oring looks and feels good, I would just use it. Static Orings really don't experience wear and unless they are abused should last for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom