Replacing the PT-015 for the Oly 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
The airlines lost my luggage (5 pieces missing since 04 JUL 07). My Oly 5050 was in my carry-on; however, the PT-015 housing was in my checked luggage.

I know that the PT-015 was discontinued. Does anyone know of some reputable sources that I could purchase a replacement housing?

not going to be easy....I purchased some on ebay and from the forums I frequent. Just gotta keep your eyes open. Sorry, not much help :(

Sorry about that. A lesson for the rest of us :CARRY IT ON!!!

herman:

Exactly..it was a pain in the rear, but I just traveled to & from Little Cayman with my housing in my carry-on(along with camera too)....but, when I arrived in Houston, I knew right where my camera, housing, & regulators(also) were- in my hands......

I check everything and just cross my fingers :)

Have you tried Yuzo in Japan - info@naturephoto.co.jp - he's come through for me when I thought all was lost.

Be prepared. You will likely pay top dollar for this rig as they are in demand.

I just got back from Bonaire, my entire setup never left my sight. It's really not hard to travel with a rig the size of the 5050. I have the housing/camera/strobe/arm/tray and a bunch of small items in one case that fits under the seat. It did get searched once but unlike some ahole TSA agents this one ask me to remove the equipment, she did not want to damage anything.

Another option is to sell the 5050 and buy another setup. There are a lot of buyers wanting the 5050. I know of a 5060 setup that is for sale (2 cameras and an Ike housing).

There's a setup on ebay with a buy-it-now price of $549.

5050 & housing

Not too unreasonable since I sold my 5050 and housing separately about a year ago for a little more. I actually got quite a bit more for the housing than I paid for it brand new. You could always turn around and sell the extra camera. For that kind of money though, I would probably go with a whole new setup.

herman:

It came down to the housing or the wedding dress and my outfit for the wedding. I didn't have a choice.

I saw the housing and camera on Ebay for $549, but I really don't want another camera. Perhaps, I'll snag that one and re-sell the camera.

You're probably better off passing...the average 5050 price seems to be ~$200, so that would put the housing at $350. There was a nice Ikelite housing that sold a week or so ago here for a lot less than that.

Good news!!! The airlines have found and returned my luggage.

Our five pieces (1 x clothes, 2 x scuba, 2 x wine) were last in our possession on 04 JUL 07. We have traveled to St. Lucia, got married, had the honeymoon, traveled back to Chicago, and worked two days before our luggage was returned. Nothing was broken nor stolen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom