Replacing oceanic bcd inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tg0dmw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys. Searched around and realised the inflator on my bcd is not servicable and its meant to be replaced. Was wondering if there are adapters to allow my 3/4 inch ID corrugated hose to fit standard 1 inch inflators or can i swap an entire standard corrugated hose and inflator assembly and fit that onto the bcd?

The bcd in question is an Oceanic Islander that I got used.

Attachments

• 15892891241464402741591540568848.jpg
    15892891241464402741591540568848.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 20200512_205638.jpg
    20200512_205638.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 163
I would replace the whole thing just so you have all standard parts if it was me.
I really like pull dumps, so I would get this one for $60. You just screw it on, easy peasy.

Inflation Assemblies - Remote Exhaust Elbow | Dive Gear Express®

If you don't want a pull dump then it's this one Inflation Assemblies - Plain Elbow | Dive Gear Express® for the same price.

Once you have a standard hose, replacement power inflators are like $15. They can be serviced but I consider them disposable due to the low cost. Also, I've had power inflators get stuck. I've also had it happen on freshly serviced inflators. That's riskier than many would have you believe. I've taken to replacing mine when I do annual service of my gear.

If the elbow at the BCD is 3/4 inch and you want to install a standard inflator this is what you need.
12'' Corrugated Adapter Hose

Thank you for the replies!

Is it possible to change the elbow and screw on a standard elbow? Or is there an adapter that would make a standard 1 inch hose fit the 3/4 inch elbow? I came across that link but they dont ship to Australia.

Thank you for the replies!

Is it possible to change the elbow and screw on a standard elbow? Or is there an adapter that would make a standard 1 inch hose fit the 3/4 inch elbow? I came across that link but they dont ship to Australia.
Depends on the thread on the bladder flange... I'm not familiar with that make to know if it's the common standard or if Oceanic did their own thing. If you have calipers, you could measure and verify, before ordering parts. Another way to check would be to see if your LDS stocks the parts and ask if they will let you fit check it. Worst case, take your life in your own hands, and make one (I dive a DIY wing with 3d printed flanges, elbows, etc.)!
Respectfully,
James

why not? Corrugated Hoses | Dive Gear Express®

and this:

45-degree Oral Power Inflator | Dive Gear Express®

I would not mess with the pull dump etc. if it works..
The reason I suggested the one that included the elbow (or pull dump) was that he was looking to switch to a standard size corrugated hose. His BCD is setup for a proprietary hose. Unless they went to the length of also using a proprietary fitting, he should be able to screw on a standard elbow/pulldump. DGE has the whole shebang for less than some places try to stick it to you for just the power inflator.

Of course as was already mentioned, it's possible the fitting is proprietary. Without calipers the easiest way to find out is just to order the part and return it if it doesn't fit.

Depends on the thread on the bladder flange... I'm not familiar with that make to know if it's the common standard or if Oceanic did their own thing. If you have calipers, you could measure and verify, before ordering parts. Another way to check would be to see if your LDS stocks the parts and ask if they will let you fit check it. Worst case, take your life in your own hands, and make one (I dive a DIY wing with 3d printed flanges, elbows, etc.)!
Respectfully,
James
I just tried it on an Islander and a standard DiveRite inflator hose. The bladder flanges are the same.

I hust tried it on an Islander and a standard DiveRite inflator hose. The bladder flanges are the same.
Looks like a winner, then!

@Tg0dmw
Lets back up just a bit and get more information. First, why can you not service your inflator? I'll attach an Oceanic manual that should be close enough to at least determine if servicing is out of the question. If that turns out to be the case, then proceed.

If you're lucky (don't count on it) the new elbow will screw directly onto the old flange. If not then replacing the assembly is the next step.

Can you remove the entire elbow fitting from the shoulder of the BCD? Or is it bonded to the material? If it is bonded, that will take a bit of work and is doable, but for a used BCD you're putting a lot of effort into it. (Nothing wrong with that, but should be considered.)

If you can remove the entire elbow assembly from the shoulder attachment, measure the hole left in the bladder/fabric. In order to install a standard elbow fitting, the hole should be about 1.10 inches in diameter. A little smaller/larger won't matter, but it should be close.

The parts required are inner flange, butterfly seal, outer flange nut, flange seal, elbow. Plus the corrugated hose and power inflator.
Basically, here is a video of what the replacement entails.

Attachments

• Oceanic Reliant pull dump and inflator.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 188

Back
Top Bottom