Replacing O2 sensor harness every time you change sensors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wonder if it’s common practice to replace the O2 sensor cables/ harness when replacing the sensors every year. This is the JJ philosophy whose sensors already include the wiring. According to some the cables are prone to oxidation and hence may cause sensor failure even if the sensor itself is well functioning. For most models, this adds about 30% to the cost of the sensors.

Depends on the unit, some are easier to do than others. Inspiration has to go back to the factory to replace the sensor cables., and you can only field hack/fix it if they aren't too far gone. When my unit goes back for servicing or repair, I ask them to preemptively replace the cables while it's there.

I think the prism2 is easily user replaceable (and cheap, IIRC). I'd be more tempted to just keep a spare set and replace with needed, if I had a unit where that was possible.

it is certainly not common. It is excessive IMO and highly impractical on most rebreathers. It would add about 100% of the cost to sensor replacements.

I wonder if it’s common practice to replace the O2 sensor cables/ harness when replacing the sensors every year. This is the JJ philosophy whose sensors already include the wiring. According to some the cables are prone to oxidation and hence may cause sensor failure even if the sensor itself is well functioning. For most models, this adds about 30% to the cost of the sensors.
It’s not, generally, and kind of a weird idea. Don’t yank on the wiring harness for too long and they last a while. I will add that Molex connectors are pretty trash, but not all units can move away from them and they constitute half the market.

Back
Top Bottom