Question Replacing hose on Atomic B2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A customer brought us an Atomic B2 reg and wanted us to change the hose to a pink one.

The B2 comes with an Atomic Comfort Swivel.

XS Scuba sells a pink MiFlex hose with a swivel that purports to replace the Atomic swivel/hose, so we ordered one.

The MiFlex hose will not attach to the B2 2nd stage. The threads are different. One is finer thread pitch than the other. But, they appear to be the same diameter.

I also thought that the B2 would accept a standard LP hose in place of the Atomic with Comfort Swivel, only needing to get a jam nut from Atomic.

But, the air barrel opening into the 2nd stage appears to be much larger than normal and a normal LP hose would not thread onto it, jam nut or not.

The B2 reg looks new, to me - but I have only seen it so far over a FB video chat, so I could be wrong. I'm going to head to the shop in a bit and look at it myself, but I'm trying to arm myself here first.

What is going on here?

I have nothing substantive to add other than I have put non-Atomic hoses on AA regs numerous times.

I would try the XS Scuba pink MiFlex hose on another regs. It could be hose??

I have nothing substantive to add other than I have put non-Atomic hoses on AA regs numerous times.

I would try the XS Scuba pink MiFlex hose on another regs. It could be hose??

Thanks. I have non-Atomic hoses on my Z2, M1, and Ti2 Octo regs, but those did not come with Atomic Comfort Swivels. I have the TFX, but I have retained the factory titanium Comfort Swivel. I just used a "repair kit" to shorten the hose itself.

In the video chat, the B2 air barrel looked bigger in diameter than a standard LP hose would fit on. The MiFlex hose swivel fitting looked the right size (i.e. bigger than a normal LP hose). It was just the wrong threads.

Does the Atomic jam nut that is needed when replacing a Comfort Swivel with a non-swivel standard LP hose actually reduce the diameter of the threads, so that a normal LP hose will go on it?

Dumb question, but did whomever disconnected the host, disconnect it at the right point? I seem to recall that it's possible to disassemble the swivel instead of disconnecting the hose from the actual barrel of the reg.

Well.... the person in question is extremely experienced as a diver, instructor, and reg tech. But, we all make mistakes and he has very little experience with Atomic regs, so... who konws?

I am going to go to the shop and have a look at it in person.

Well.... the person in question is extremely experienced as a diver, instructor, and reg tech. But, we all make mistakes and he has very little experience with Atomic regs, so... who konws?

I am going to go to the shop and have a look at it in person.
I bet you’ll find that is the case, being familiar with “normal” regulators isn’t quite the same as Atomic.

I replaced the hose for a brand new B2, out of the box, with a longer Scubapro LP hose and a 110 swivel few days ago with no issues at all. I had the Jam nut already and it was no problem at all.

^--- what @TravisD said. All Atomic barrels will accept an XS scuba swivel hose.
What your tech did was see those obvious wrench flats and then went and unscrewed the outer half of the Comfort Swivel. Oops!
Just remove the black rubber trim ring from the end that's left and you'll see large hex flats. Remove that remaining outer piece, add a jam nut, and the barrel will accept the XS Scuba hose. Not nearly as good in quality as the Comfort Swivel hose, but if you gotta have pink, you gotta have pink.

Maybe have your tech look at the Comfort Swivel schematic, since he's clearly not done that before...

^--- what @TravisD said. All Atomic barrels will accept an XS scuba swivel hose.
What your tech did was see those obvious wrench flats and then went and unscrewed the outer half of the Comfort Swivel. Oops!
was about to fall into that trap in the next few days -- was already wondering why it has such an odd wrench size and where I can find that so I can tune my ebay find :phew:🛡️

The answer has likely been given above multiple times - It got disassembled at the wrong place. The drawings should clear things up.

Attachments

• Second Stage Hoses - Schematics (2008).pdf
    160.8 KB · Views: 9
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom