replacing a lost YMCA cert card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I was certified by YMCA in 1975. The card seems lost so I'd like a replacement. But YMCA tells me they stopped keeping records before 1984. It's possible this is not correct but it's the only response I've gotten from YMCA.
Any suggestions...besides retaking the basic?
I need that card to get into the Peace Corps MIG program here in the Dominican Republic where I am serving as a volunteer. I'd retake the basic and certainly need a check dive...and will be doing my advanced...except that PC doesn't give us much time for MIG work and the basic will take 4 to 5 valuable days out of my leave and R & R as well as cost me over US $ 200 which, as anyone on PC pay will tell you, is one heck of a lot of money. So...I want my card replaced. Perhaps I am just stuck, but perhaps someone in this network knows, for example, that YMCA really does have records somewhere, had the sense to realize that folks my age are still active and that the course we took had and still should have value. I know Don Scalli (Nahant, Mass) worked hard to teach us well.
Thanks,
Paul

Is your instructor from 1975 available to help? Or do you have a log showing your dives with your Y instructor as a buddy? Maybe you could show that to who is doing your AOW and work something out.

The Y program was bought/turned into SEI. There is a guy on this board, Jim Lapenta, who helped revamp the courses. You may want to pm him and see what options are available. If your Y course in '75 was anything like mine in '80, you learned a lot

Good luck

Have you called 1-800-872-9622? Looks like you may of already tried it. The number I gave is the one off my card I had to get, to replace my old one from the early 80's (when they did keep records). I got a diploma looking paper as well after my coarse. Did they give you one as well in the 70's? If so and you still have it that should help you.

My YMCA open water card was in my wallet when it was stolen out of my truck last year. Certified circa 1991. The dive shops locally know me, so I don't have a problem getting my tank filled. But.....I just went on vacation and in order to dive, I had to take a Padi "introduction to scuba" class, and had to do a beginner dive instead of diving with the more advanced group. Such a shame that YMCA took such a good program and messed it up. Applied for a new card, but I'm not even positive of my instructor's name. Really hoping they have SOME kind of records and I can get my replacement card!

How frequently have you been diving and how confident are you in your skills with modern equipment and safety procedures? A lot has changed in nearly 50 years. It may be very worth it to re-certify anyway.

How frequently have you been diving and how confident are you in your skills with modern equipment and safety procedures? A lot has changed in nearly 50 years. It may be very worth it to re-certify anyway.

I have modern equipment and I dive pretty frequently. Probably three times a month on average :) 50 years? I was certified less than 30 years ago. All my equipment was manufactured within the last 7 years or so.

I have modern equipment and I dive pretty frequently. Probably three times a month on average :) 50 years? I was certified less than 30 years ago. All my equipment was manufactured within the last 7 years or so.
Sounds good.

OP was certified 46 years ago and that's who I was referring to.

My YMCA open water card was in my wallet when it was stolen out of my truck last year. Certified circa 1991. The dive shops locally know me, so I don't have a problem getting my tank filled. But.....I just went on vacation and in order to dive, I had to take a Padi "introduction to scuba" class, and had to do a beginner dive instead of diving with the more advanced group. Such a shame that YMCA took such a good program and messed it up. Applied for a new card, but I'm not even positive of my instructor's name. Really hoping they have SOME kind of records and I can get my replacement card!
Scuba Educators International took over the YMCA database. Give them a shout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom