Replacement wing recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluegillchow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Time to replace the wing on my backplate. I've had the current set-up for a long time, so I'm a little out of the loop regarding the latest and greatest in wings and hoping for some suggestions/advice.

I am currently diving with a G.U.T.S. Al backplate and an old 30# Halcyon Eclipse wing (10+ years old). All of my diving is recreational, most of it in warm water with a 3mm wetsuit. Depending on the particular tank/exposure suit combination, I use at most 6 lbs. of ditchable weight.

The inflator hose fitting completely separated from the bladder this weekend, and the bladder is old enough that it seems time to replace it rather than try to get it repaired. I would like something of comparable size and lift, with standard hole placements for tank straps and attachment bolts, and with stabilizers so I don't need to use an STA. So far, my choices seem to be:
  • Hollis S25 LX (a little smaller than what I currently have, but in the ball park)
  • OxyCheq 30# wing
  • OMS Performance Mono Wing
Any others I'm missing? Opinions on the ones I've listed? Thanks in advance.

@bluegillchow just call Halcyon and/or Extreme Exposure. Tell them what's going on and ask if they can either fix the wing *replacement bladders are available*.

If you want to get away from the STA, I'd get the Oxycheq over any of those three you listed. I wouldn't even consider wings from the other two brands based on customer service alone, though the Oxycheq quality is exceptional which helps.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good info to have.

Sounds like either a 18# or a 23# should be enough for what you describe. If I needed a new wing I'd strongly consider the Argonaut. I use this to help secure my tank on my Hog 23#:
OMS Soft Stabilizing Adapter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom