Replacement second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok... My second stage is no longer made, but the first is still great (mares mr12dfc). I don't want to buy an all new setup.... So, can you buy just the second stage from mares? If not, can you use a different brand second with the mares first?

As long as the IPis ok and holding steady, yes. You can pair pretty much any second with a first. One of my buddies is using a HOG second on an older Mares piston. Works fine. Why is your second no longer ok?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

You can buy Mares 2nd stages; or you can use a different brand 2nd stage on your MR-12. The 2nd stage is "tuned" to the intermediate pressure (IP) of the 1st stage, so even if you buy a Mares 2nd, it should still be tuned to your MR-12 first stage for "optimum" performance.

I own and service serveral Mares regs, and have no problem using different brand 2nd stages with them (Zeagle, Scubapro).... What I do I set the IP of all of my first stages to the same setting, so I can easily swap second stages if needed.

Edit: Jim's suggestion of a HOG 2nd stage is a great one. Really good "bang for the buck", and if I needed to replaces any of my Mares 2nd's, that is probably the 2nd I'd choose.

Best wishes.

Why bother to replace the second stage just because it is not made anymore? I don't think anything I own is still made anymore but that doesn't mean it is not serviceable.

The III that you have is one of the all time classic regulators and will stand up to any reg still in production......It's absolutely worth searching out a seat for it.
BTW... the LP seat is reversible and will at least give you a couple of years of use.
Apart from cleaning and adjusting the seat is the only part that needs to be changed during the 2nd stage service even though the Mares kit would come with an exhaust diaphragm, lock nut, cable tie and a couple of o rings.

Seeing your other post my guess is you are looking for a new second due to Zak telling you parts are not available....what you have to understand is that is manuf speak for we don't put together kits for it and some of the major parts are not available, it does not mean it can't be serviced as long as major parts (body and the like) are in good shape. The thing is most of the service parts are either generic or still used in other regs. One of my favorite second stages is an old MR-12 that was made while they were still Voit and later AMF (mid to late 60s). Mares will tell you that parts are not available but in reality they are, just not in a complete kit. The main diaphgram is still used in current model reg, the exhaust valve in another and the rest of the parts are generic (orings and the like). The other issue you will have is finding a shop that will do the work, most will give you the same "parts are not availiable" BS either to avoid having to do some legwork or simply to sell you a new reg. This is a perfect reg to start a DIY project, repair it yourself and dive it. Like fishpie said, odds are the only thing it really needs is a LP seat and those are easy to come by and cheap. ($3ish) There is a very stong DIY commmunity here so help is easy to find.

To answer your original question, like the rest have said, you can use pretty much any second stage you like, it will work fine. However, it is likely that it will need to be adjusted to work at it's best with your first stage which means you will need to find a shop to do the work or DIY. Keep that in mind if you are thinking of buying on line. Another issue will be if you use a different brand, you may have trouble getting all of it serviced at one shop. Many shops will not service a brand they do not sell.....another good reason to DIY.

Thanks for the input... Don't bash Zak, he did the leg work and found the info to get my reg the parts needed. This just strengthens my faith in Mares, or at least the people who work for Mares.

I had no intention of bashing Zak, far from it, he always seems to go out of his way to help Mares owners. My point was, he (most likely) has to tow the company line and give you the "legal" answer. It's the same with any other manufacturer and I understand that, on the other hand I don't. I can fill in the gaps that he can't for company reasons. I spend a lot of time bringing old regs from the 60 and early 70s back to life and hate to see a perfectly good reg, esp one you really like thrown in the trash because "official" parts kits "are not available" when the real answer is the company just does not gather the parts into one baggie any more.

Herman... I didn't mean to sound like you were bashing him, but there are others on the board that would. I agree with you on every Count. I think it's stupid that the companies don't help you with keeping a reg or what ever working. They want you to buy the new whiz bang. If they offered more support (like the list of parts to keep them running, I think more people would stick with that brand. If I am forced to buy a new reg (or car,or anything) because they don't "support that model", even if individual parts are available, I am more likely to go to a different brand.
Zak just kept me with Mares. I probably will buy a new reg in the next year or so, but Mares is up to the top again because of the help Zak gave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom