Question Replacement screw for Olympus PT-059 shutter trigger lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know the size of the screw that secures the shutter trigger lever to the Olympus PT-059 housing? My best guess is M3 x 0.5mm. I’m trying to replace the lever with an extended version for easier use with a tray; I want to put a heat sink insert into the part I’m 3D printing to secure the screw, hence the question.

Call Backscatter at 831-645-1082, they would know. They are in Monterey also.

They might know but they (at least for me in the past) won't tell. Maybe if they don't sell them they might but if you ask for an o-ring size for example they never answer.
Bill

Call Backscatter at 831-645-1082, they would know. They are in Monterey also.
Backscatter won't answer me on PT-059 parts information or sources either. I requested parts information from Olympus Support and they referred me to their Repair (OM Digital Solutions; the company Olympus sold their underwater business to in 2020). Their response was that the information is "Confidential". This tells me that it's a marketing strategy to make non-manufacturer repairs complicated/difficult and risky so TG-6 owners are forced to buy new PT-059s periodically when they start to leak through worn pushbutton o-rings etc. I'm done with Olympus housings and going back to Ikelite housings. Ikelite now sells a housing for the TG-6 for the same price of the PT-059 and they provide repair parts and repair service beyond the warranty period. Ikelite's parts support also enable's DIY photographers the capability to do field repairs on their expensive dive trips. Furthermore, the Ikelite system now has greater capabilities for the TG-6.

On the flip side, I've disassembled one of my leaky PT-059's to measure e-clips, screws, springs, and o-rings. So far, I've been successful on finding the two different sizes of e-clips and the three different sizes of small o-rings. Ordering, custom sized 316 stainless springs is proving to be too costly. Now, I've measured screws and trying to find the five different types and sizes.

Backscatter won't answer me on PT-059 parts information or sources either. I requested parts information from Olympus Support and they referred me to their Repair (OM Digital Solutions; the company Olympus sold their underwater business to in 2020). Their response was that the information is "Confidential". This tells me that it's a marketing strategy to make non-manufacturer repairs complicated/difficult and risky so TG-6 owners are forced to buy new PT-059s periodically when they start to leak through worn pushbutton o-rings etc. I'm done with Olympus housings and going back to Ikelite housings. Ikelite now sells a housing for the TG-6 for the same price of the PT-059 and they provide repair parts and repair service beyond the warranty period. Ikelite's parts support also enable's DIY photographers the capability to do field repairs on their expensive dive trips. Furthermore, the Ikelite system now has greater capabilities for the TG-6.

On the flip side, I've disassembled one of my leaky PT-059's to measure e-clips, screws, springs, and o-rings. So far, I've been successful on finding the two different sizes of e-clips and the three different sizes of small o-rings. Ordering, custom sized 316 stainless springs is proving to be too costly. Now, I've measured screws and trying to find the five different types and sizes.
has anyone ever put a video together showing the servicing & parts, I had a leaky button & was quoted 6mths turn round time for servicing here in SE Asia , i'm a reg service tech so can do it myself if i can get all the parts

Yes, six month turnaround is extremely poor customer support on their proprietary marketing strategy that fails to satisfactorily support avid underwater photographers traveling the globe and need robust DIY repair capability. The PT-059 housing is weak in support and does not do well with diver entries from boats that can't facilitate a gentile over-the-side handoff to divers after they enter the water. Money is better spent on Ikelite's latest system for the TG-6. Ikelite has greater lens capabilities, support of DIY repairs, and their housing can handle the impact entries with divers where the PT-059 often fails with weak design of the housing closure and o-ring containment. If anyone is interested in replacement parts information I've tested, I can post the information. I told Olympus and Backscatter I'm going back to Ikelite that better supports underwater photographers and DIY divers that travel to remote parts of the globe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom