Replacement for Crystal Simple Green

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTPaws

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I'll admit I've been a bit of a Crystal Simple Green fanboy since I started servicing regs a few years ago. I really like that it has no smell or residue.

But now I need to find something else. I recently moved to the USVI and trying to get a gallon to me is expensive. I can get the gallon for around $15 per gallon, but the shipping is around $50. I did ask TSA if I could bring it back in my checked bag, and although they were encouraging, they didn't say absolutely I could.

All things considered I figure I'd see if there is anything out there that can take it's place but not so exclusive that I have to give up a piece of dive gear to afford to ship it.

The problem is the perfume and heat-labile additives like color in regular detergents
@The Chairman has the solution for your ultrasonic cleaning (or even for soaking without an U/S). But for an alkaline degreasing detergent before you use acid to remove verdigris, you can use ANY common sink detergent with two limitations and one requirement:
You can't heat it above "hot to the touch", or the heat labile stuff will degrade.
You can't soak plastic or rubber parts at all. Just a quick wash and scrub before rinsing.
But LOTS of rinsing is necessary. You may even need to soak rubber parts in water for awhile afterward, and reassure your customer that yes, the perfumey smell will disappear.

Rubber parts should be cleaned with a damp towel. If it's really bad, then a bit of rubbing alcohol. Too many solvents have a negative reaction to rubber and synthetics. Alcohol is pretty safe in that regard.

Vinegar... just rinse and you're done.
Yep I use vinegar to get the caked salt, but the CSG was great for getting the grease and old lube off of the metal parts. I have these two small pyrex dishes (one for CSG and the other vinegar) that sat really well in US. I could just move the part from one to the other (with a quick freshwater dunk).
As @rsingler said, I might try dawn. I just really hate perfumes.

Alconox works great on plastic.

Blue Gold is expensive, but it degreases like gang busters.

Vinegar water for corroded things.

This is quoted from your link

"It can even be used in cleaning equipment such as power washers and ultrasonic tool cleaners as long as rinse is discharged to wastewater treatment."

But despite this how about not having anything to do with anything that is WD-40

As in, laundry detergent powder?
I may try it! More info, please.

Yes washing powder, that one mixes with hot hot water and tests in an inconspicuous area for plating fastness

Back
Top Bottom