Replacement Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kradatzke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have taken up diving in the last year and have been using a small point and shoot Panasonic. I find in the tropics with lots of light it seems to do ok. In the Pacific North West ( British Columbia ) it really performs poor , due to the low light problem.
I would like to get a new camera and housing , I am wanting to stay in the $350-$450 range for the camera . I'm looking for some advise on what to buy.

Kelly

I think, in the pricerange youre looking, you may be better off getting a strobe, given the fact that a new camera wont remove the issue of low light and you wont really get any of the ones Id recommend for the money you want to spend..
If I WHERE to recommend one, it would be the sony RX100 or Canon G-series, but they wont fix the lack of light by themselves and is kinda out of the pricerange anyhow...

sounds like you are ready for the next step. be prepared as it is expensive.

more light generally requires a strobe (or 2). plus an arm and a tray and a sync cable.

once you do some research about strobes you may find that your current camera will work just fine with strobes. or you may need to buy a new camera and housing as well. budget $2000 cdn.

I also advise getting a strobe. A camera+housing bundle within your budget won't be such an improvement to what you're using now.
However, a half decent strobe with a half decent camera can achieve some very decent shots. Getting a strobe changes the whole game and allows you to take colorful and beautiful shots of marine life in every type of visibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom