Replace the battery, or replace the computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Aeris XR1 computer that the battery is now dead on it. I know it is about 5+ years old.

I am wondering, since I am in no rush to need it, would it be better to get a newer computer. Really, I use a computer so I don't hit my no deco limit.

I have a Aeris XR1 computer that the battery is now dead on it. I know it is about 5+ years old.

I am wondering, since I am in no rush to need it, would it be better to get a newer computer. Really, I use a computer so I don't hit my no deco limit.
You can change the battery yourself for just a few dollars. Why would you get a new computer instead?

You can change the battery yourself for just a few dollars. Why would you get a new computer instead?

Because if he doesn't, the dive shop that he frequents will end up going out of business. Don't spend money on dive vacations, spend it in your local dive shop.:popcorn:

Michael
Since flying off on a dive vacation would end up costing me overweight charges for at least 1000 lbs, I only dive where I can drive to and the car has load leveling shocks with a compressor, XHD springs and Michelin tires that are rated for the extra weight. Wheel bearings unfortunately don't last forever and end up getting replaced as soon as they get loud or about 100,000 km.

Because if he doesn't, the dive shop that he frequents will end up going out of business. Don't spend money on dive vacations, spend it in your local dive shop.:popcorn:

Michael
Since flying off on a dive vacation would end up costing me overweight charges for at least 1000 lbs, I only dive where I can drive to and the car has load leveling shocks with a compressor, XHD springs and Michelin tires that are rated for the extra weight. Wheel bearings unfortunately don't last forever and end up getting replaced as soon as they get loud or about 100,000 km.

My reason is my current computer is not very user friendly to me. I still go to various dive vacations. Just got back from Cuba and probably the DR in a few months.

I have never really liked the computer I have.

Aeris products are no longer supported by Oceanic, so you are on your own for any major issues. Your LDS will probably change the battery for around $15 or you can do it yourself. I am diving an Aeris A300 with my old Atmos 2 as a backup. Unless the A300 craps out on me, I will change the battery and continue to use it.

If you don't like the computer you have, then that is certainly reason enough to look for a different one. Personal choice.

My reason is my current computer is not very user friendly to me. I still go to various dive vacations.
That is a better reason to get a new computer than saying the battery is dead.
What do you like -- and don't like -- about the computer you have? Hard to make suggestions without this info.

That is a better reason to get a new computer than saying the battery is dead.
What do you like -- and don't like -- about the computer you have? Hard to make suggestions without this info.

I don't like that it can be hard to see. I don't like it being so full of stuff, some I don't even know what it is for displaying at the same time. I hate how annoying it is to scroll though the whole thing to get to a dive, and it only scrolls one way.

It is just not user friendly.

My reason is my current computer is not very user friendly to me. I still go to various dive vacations. Just got back from Cuba and probably the DR in a few months.

In that case I would replace the battery and use it as a backup to a new computer.

Sounds like you’d rather have a new one. Honestly it won’t hurt to update your gear and keep it current If you plan on a lot more diving then update the computer and check out some of the new ones on the market
Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom