Replace Suunto Favor with Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
If the stars align, and they appear to be, I should end up with a complete regulator set at the end of this week. The set includes a console with a Suunto Favor dive computer. Is this a decent computer? Does it have the same dimensions as the zoop, in case I decide to replace it? Would there be a reason to even make that change?

My inclination would be to use it and see how you like it. I suspect the algo is same as Zoop. I think the main upgrade with the Zoop would be nitrox. In any event, I would dive it for a while. You may decide there are other features you want that the Zoop doesn't offer. Upgrade when you decide what you want. Good luck.

Gotcha. Okay, so it sounds like you're saying the Suunto Favor is still a perfectly viable computer. I'm a ways out from doing Nitrox, so I should be good.

If it works, I'd say use it. The main criticism of the Suunto entry level computers is their conservatism. Especially for your first computer, this is not a bad thing. If you like the algorithm, but want nitrox, the Zoop is a very reasonably priced choice -- keep the Favor as a backup. I think you will learn a lot about what you like and don't like by using it without spending any more money for now. The hole in your pocket will find many ways to get bigger! Good diving!

I have a suunto gekko (model before the zoop) thats hardly used, $100 its yours.

Computers can last quite a while. So if it doesn't do Nitrox I would not buy it. Nitrox is becoming more common and makes for a safer dive. I also like to upload dives to my PC and I am not sure the Favor has PC interface.

I also thought Nitrox was a way off for me and within 6 months I had done Nitrox. Most dives now are on Nitrox.

I've had a Favor for years and it still works perfectly. The display is easy to understand, I can wrist or console mount easily , and have never had any issues with it , with only minor battery changes.

Judging strictly from pictures it looks like the Favor is more oblong than the Zoop.

IIRC most Suunto consoles are also a different size since the computer module is not the same size as many of the industry standard ones from companies like Oceanic, Sherwood, Scubapro etc.

At least it was that way for the Gekko a few years ago. Since the Zoop is basically a downloadable version of the same computer - I suspect it might be also. I probably read that here if you want to search for more info.

Aside from the fact that the Favor is an "air only" computer, without a pc interface there is at least one difference from the Zoop-Gekko-Vyper. Having dived these (we have 1 Zoop, 1 Vyper, 2 Gekkos, 1 Favor) and the Favor side by side, I find that the Favor is considerably more liberal in NDL's.

Hopefully I should have it in my hands in the next couple of days. I'm looking forward to playing with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom