Replace DS boots with DS socks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Apparently replacing DS boots with DS socks (ala DUI, Bare) can be done.

I'm wondering if anyone's done it DIY-style? I'm thinking it can't be much harder than replacing seals, no?

I've got a bit of extra length in the legs too, so this might give me an opportunity to shorten up a bit.

Any opinions or experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Russell

Fortunately I've not needed to replace my seals/boots yet but do have experience USING a few different (unknown) brands of socks. I was told they "tend to weep a little water" but my personal experience after two dozen dives in 3 different suits was that I was wet from head to toe on the worst dives and had wet feet & damp ankles as a best case. The driest results were using socks coated in an aquaseal rub a few times. If you haven't yet, I'd be sure to talk with others who have experience with socks. Hope you have better luck than I have!

Jon

I intend to install some drysuit socks on my DUI TLS350 for a DIY winter project this year, so thanks for posting!

It'll be my first time installing socks, but my initial plan is to use DUI socks, since they've been long-lasting and completely dry on my other suit. I'm replacing TurboSoles on the TLS350.

Machine sewing will be my first choice, but if I can't find a suitable machine, I'll probably just glue the socks on, since the glue I use is very strong and reliable. I might possibly follow the glueing wth a little hand-stitching for added strength, but that's probably overkill. Famous last words? :11:

For DIY drysuit zipper and seal replacement I've used S-18, an industrial strength neoprene contact cement and it's been super. I'll probably use it for the socks, but I might consider paying the high price for PB-300 because they say it allows positioning of the two glued surfaces without grabbing.

If I use the S-18, a more typical contact cement, I intend to separate the glued surfaces with strips of plastic cut from a Ziploc bag to allow positioning. Then I'll gradually pull the strips of plastic away, allowing the glued surfaces to mate.

That will be followed with rolling of the joint and sealing with Aquaseal.

I haven't even begun to look for the best price on DUI drysuit socks or suitable alternatives, so please post what you find out and I'll do the same.

Good luck! Shouldn't be difficult at all! :D

The difficult part for me will be getting my butt in gear and doing it! I'm a terrible procrastinator. :shakehead:

By the way, Airspeed Press' Steven Lindblom has an excellent book entitled Wetsuit and Drysuit Maintenance and Repair:

WETSUIT AND DRYSUIT MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Steven Lindblom

Dave C

It's been my intention to get a few of the airspeed press books. I think that will be my first since it's the more pressing need. :wink:

I've looked a few places already for socks...DUI will sell them, but apparently only through a dealer. Anyone have a different experience?

EDIT
I just found a place to purchase socks, but it's in England:
Hammond Drysuits - 3D Socks (pair)

Hard to tell what that material is, too. Looks like rubber or a thick latex.

/EDIT

I know this thread is a little old. I found a latex dry suit sock at OS Systems along with instructions. I may be going this route after doing a neoprene neck seal to latex neck seal conversion.

Post back what your experience is if you do it. I still want to, but only recently been back in a financial (and time) position to source socks. I'll look into OS Systems.

Back
Top Bottom