Repaired air tube on BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TristenB

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there...living in Colombia, I don't have the diving resources I would have in the States. That said, I brought my BCD in to a shop to have a new air hose put on, and instead they glued the hose back together. (And they say they're a PADI ceryified shop?) I'm worried that this could burst on my next dive and wonder if anyone knows a proper shop to get a replacement hose for an Oceanic BCD. I live in the city of Cali.

Hi there...living in Colombia, I don't have the diving resources I would have in the States. That said, I brought my BCD in to a shop to have a new air hose put on, and instead they glued the hose back together.

Which "air hose"?

I assume you are referring to the corrugated hose that runs from the shoulder dump valve to the LP power inflator. I would never glue one rather than replace, but it might just work. That hose is rarely subject to much pressure - consider it an extension of your BCD bladder. If you over inflate the BCD then you will put some pressure on it, and see if the patch gives before or after the BCD over pressure relief valve opens. But I would also think that whatever tore, ripped, or separated the first time is likely to happen again at the same spot. I don't know you might find a new part, but if you do one just has to be moderately hand to replace it. As long as the replacement hose is the same inside diameter and the same length, it should fit easily. If a different length, then the interior dump valve cable won't work right. Not as cheap as replacing just the hose, another option is to replace the full assembly if that is the only way you can source a part. I believe the XS Scuba inflators use the same shoulder fitting threads, and maybe Sherwood also. Good be others too.

Good luck!

I'd order a new corrugated hose for sure. Measure what you have and you can order a new one online easily for 15-20 dollars. That and some cable ties and you are in business.

"Assessing whether it is done right" is the issue. OP may not be comfortable with that and for not much money this can be replaced completely. I would not be comfortable counseling someone to rely on a repair I have not seen, which they may not be comfortable evaluating and which, if it failed, could cause buoyancy loss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom