Repair or Replace ?? Thank you! (Another BCD Question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Land Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Problem:
1st leak. My BCD leaked towards the end of a liveaboard last summer, the seal around dump valve was ripped as I was told, and crew tried to fix it by gluing/sealing off the area while I borrowed a BCD from the boat.

The BCD seemed ok after it was dry. When I washed all the gears after getting home, I was able to orally inflate the BCD and hung it to dry. It stayed partially inflated in the storage.

2nd leak. Fast forward to Christmas last month. 2nd (or 3rd?) dive on a liveaboard, I noticed my BCD was leaking during hook-in (great timing...says no one ever :(). Crew took out the valve and then told me they couldn't fix it. I dived on a rental for the rest of the trip, no biggie. I remembered packing the BCD but forgot to ask for the valve that had been taken out.

About the BCD:
Sherwood, female model (not sure if it's luna and I've not noticed any difference from regular model), with integrated weight pockets.

Someone I know was helping a local dealer to offload some stock about 4 years ago, not sure how long it had sat in the warehouse though. It was a good fit so I bought it. Well, it still fits me fine, and I've had about 80+ dives on it.

Question:
Shall I bring it to a dive shop and get it fixed? or move on to a new BCD?

Thank you all very much! x

The thread was a bit longer than I thought... Sorry :oops:

Hopefully there's enough info for you diving gurus to help me decide... Thanks again! :)

The more you dive and the more research and comparing you do you may want to consider moving on to a BCD that could better suit you and the diving you find yourself getting into. I’d say if you’re going to be doing lots of diving and training with it you may want a different style of BCD as well.

if I was you I would do this:
  • Ask a dive shop which is an official maintenance centre for this manufacturer to quote me a repair and tell me what they will do
  • send an email to the manufacturer support to tell them the problem and ask advice
  • Look at the price of the new BCD you would buy
Then you’ll have more information to decide :)

Your avatar is quite funny btw

Edit:
Sherwood support:
Customer Support - Sherwood Scuba

Dealer locator:
Find a Dealer - Sherwood Scuba (ask the dealer if they are licensed to do BCD repairs by Sherwood and ask them a quote, and more details about the repair before to agree to pay anything)

if I was you I would do this:
  • Ask a dive shop which is an official maintenance centre for this manufacturer to quote me a repair and tell me what they will do
  • send an email to the manufacturer support to tell them the problem and ask advice
  • Look at the price of the new BCD you would buy
Then you’ll have more information to decide :)

Your avatar is quite funny btw

Edit:
Sherwood support:
Customer Support - Sherwood Scuba

Dealer locator:
Find a Dealer - Sherwood Scuba (ask the dealer if they are licensed to do BCD repairs by Sherwood and ask them a quote, and more details about the repair before to agree to pay anything)

Thanks a lot!

I live in Asia, which is yay for top diving sites but boo for finding an authorised maintenance centre. Sherwood doesn't appear to have one. Local dive shops I spoke with were definitely more interested in selling me a new one.

I'll email Sherwood and see what they suggest.

You can keep throwing money at it or spend it on something new. I personally would not be 100% comfortable diving something that's been patched a couple times of unknown origin. Bladders deterirate over time, it sounds like that may have contrbuted to your first problem. Also whoever has to sort it out/repair it doesn't work for free and you have no warranty right? How many hours of paid b you shop time b4 it's silly to ocnsider fixing it.

From your post you seem to be liveaboard diving so buy a lightweight travel BC if you only plan to dive warm water. They pack really small, have enough lift for single tank use and are pretty affordable. Most have integrated weight systems and some offer wing choices. Most that I've listed pack small enough to fit in a carry-on with room left over.

some options - alphabetical.

Aualung Zuna - rolls up into a storage bag.
Dive Rite Travelpac - no exp with one.
Scubapro Lighthawk - fit me well at 6'2" 240
Zeagle Covert XT - rolls up to the size of a fat newspaper
Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe is a modular back inflate soft backpack model. Fully configurable - more expensive than the others listed.

2nd leak. Fast forward to Christmas last month. 2nd (or 3rd?) dive on a liveaboard, I noticed my BCD was leaking during hook-in (great timing...says no one ever :(). Crew took out the valve and then told me they couldn't fix it. I dived on a rental for the rest of the trip, no biggie. I remembered packing the BCD but forgot to ask for the valve that had been taken out.

After that I would replace it for sure. I can see doing a "combat" repair to a BCD while on the boat but once i returned to land personally I would replace it

The first leak is the most concerning. If I read it right, the bladder/air cell tore at the dump valve. Glued right it'll work....but for how long. Is the material brittle and tear somewhere else?
The second leak sounds like the power inflator...simple fix. You can buy a new one, or components yourself. I wouldn't condemn a bc over it.
Travel bc's mentioned above are good choices. With the exception of the Zeagle Express. They need to have triglides added so they don't ride up (in spite of crotch strap). The grommets will dig into your spine if not wearing 3mm +.

.., and I've had about 80+ dives on it....
Besides the leak...........
Is there anything you DON'T LIKE about the BC?
Pockets, weights system, cam band, buckles, how it packs in a suitcase, the color, how it floats you on the surface or underwater trim?

Sounds like both problems were the same dump valve, right? That structural failure usually can’t be fixed, although there are exceptions. No added advice for repair options, that has been covered. Just start thinking about your next BC, as that is the most likely outcome.
Also, how much diving do you do? Travel BCs are nice, but often the weight savings comes from thinner less durable materials used. Find the balance for your needs.

Back
Top Bottom