Repair method for X-stream fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceangaucho

Registered
Reaction score
Federated States of Micronesia, Western Pacific
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, I LOVE my X-stream fins, diving 2 days a week or more in the Micronesian islands of the western Pacific.
One fin has developed a tear out at the end of the fin where the flexible material joins the harder opaque plastic.
I will try to include an image to help understand where the damage is.
Do you have recommendations for a method to repair?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Dear oceangaucho,

I too love my X-stream fins, however, I'm on my second pair due to damage caused by the tear you describe. It started as a tiny separation at the top, and progressed to half-way down the fin. At one point the fin starts to lose propulsion, and the tear increases as thew forces put the stress on that area.

I tried flexible glues as well as hard (super) glues, however the only way of solving this was to purchase a new pair.

With this new pair I'm keeping a sharp eye for the begining of the tear, so that I can take then back to the shop when it forms.

Greetings, I too have had the same problem with these fins. In my case a mares rep replaced them during a mares promotional event at my LDS. Mine were less than a year old at the time. Give someone from Mares or your Mares dealer a call and see what they say.

Thanks kelemvor, I looked all over the Mares website and could not find a way to contact them directly. I was hoping on this manufacturers' forum I might get the attention of a Mares Rep. I bought the fins through Scuba.com and left them a message yesterday to get their suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom