Renting a Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any companies that rent housings for digital SLRs.

I have a Canon EOS 10D, and I'm going to Aruba the end of November. I'd much rather use the Canon than my Sea and Sea MX10. Ikelite and Sea and Sea (you know the companies that make affordable housings) were suppossed to have housings, but now they're both saying not until January.

I'm just wondering if I can rent one and if it's even worth it?
I'm not about to drop $4k on a Subal when in 2-3 months I can get an Ikelite for less than 1/4 of that price.

Someone could have at least responded and said,
"You're an idiot. No one rents housings fo that camera."

Grunzster, you're an idiot. Nobody rents housings for that camera....

Hey, you asked for it! No, seriously, check out this website. Don't know if they have your housing, but they will ship to you some rental equipment (at your cost, with appropriate credit card deposit).

http://www.backscatter.com/hostedstore/static/html/backscatter/rental_overview.html

Let us know what they tell you. Make sure to post some shots when you get back!

Thanks I feel better now.

I actually already called them. They have the Subal housing for my camera, but only or sale not rental:(

At this point, I think I'm SOL unless someone rents them down there? Doubtfull!

At least the Ikelite comes out in just about 2 months, so I should have it for the next trip.

You could buy a second camera with the same manufacturers housing.
Canon makes one if you want to use your existing memory cards etc.
(Olympus and Sony make ones too.)
You could probably get both for around $500.

My cousin has a canon.
I dont know the model, but it's tiny and the housing was under $200. It takes great shots, especially on better vis vacation dives.

It will also be good in the future for those times you don't want to bring your primary rig, which will probably grow into an enormus size with strobes and all.

It is definately a plus to having a small camera that you could clip off or put in a bc pocket.
Same on land, when you dont feel like bringing your real shooter to a party or something, you just slip it in your pocket.

The sony that I have is smaller than my cell phone when not in the housing.
My Nikon's, I just don't bring out all the time.

Some of the better vacation dive operations will rent you a camera with housing at a reasonable rate. You'll have to call around and check. I'm not talking Aqua Shots either. Some rent high end gear with the strobes and everything.

I looked at Stuart Coves website for you, as I remembered they had a nice selection of rental gear. You can get a Nikonos V for $30 per day, or $55 per day with strobe. Nort too bad if you don't take pics every day.

Good Luck
Scott

I have thought about getting another camera, but the whole idea of getting the Canon, was to have one nice digital for all uses.

Even if you do take pics every day, if the price to rent digitals is the same, that's not bad, considering the cost of film and processing.

Back
Top Bottom