Rental Car in Mayan Riviera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Quick question:

I am going to Akumal in April for my first time.
I am going to be doing most of my diving in and around that area with a day trip or two to Cozumel and Tulum.

I have heard three things:
1)It is VERY expensive to rent a car in Mexico.
2)There are other ways to get around
3)Unsafe??

Is there any truth to any of these?
Please give me your recommondations.

thank you.

tp

I've been to Akumal three times and have yet to need a car. My hotel/dive op took me everywhere I needed to go....from the dive site, to the grocery store, to the mini super to the pharmacy.....I had no need for wheels.

toodles:
Quick question:

I am going to be doing most of my diving in and around that area with a day trip or two to Cozumel and Tulum.

3)Unsafe??

thank you.

tp

Don't rent a car.

It is easier and cheaper to hail the public transportation or use a tour company for you day trips. In the long run it's cheaper and less hassel if you don't speak much Spanish or know your way around to use the tour company.

Also which ever dive shop you use, have them pick you up for your dives. Though a few of them balk when you ask for a ride back to the hotel.

toodles:
Quick question:

3)Unsafe??

thank you.tp

I've never rented there but I've read several cautions.

1) Make sure you have written confirmation of your reservation and price. A lot of the agencies will say they have no record of your reservation and charge a high rate.

2) Write down every dent, scratch, rip or missing item, check and make sure there is a spare, jack, lug wrench. You might get charged for them if they are not there when you return the car.

toodles:
Quick question:

3)Unsafe??

thank you.

tp

I have never had any problems renting a car in Cancun. I always book it ahead and just use National because it was easy. We did have the window broken with a rock at the Temple of Doom, but we should have known better as we were warned. I think they charged me $200 bucks to fix it when I turned it in.... I drove it around the remainder of the time with a broken window and had no problems. I even broke a tail light when I backed up with my doubles on, and they didn't catch that. Definately arrange it before you go though.

I guess if you are staying somewhere that arranges transport for you that would be good but I usually do my own thing so the rental car works for me.

Karen

yes, there are other ways to get around. if you want to do it on your schedule the rental works best. we had no problems and did not find it expensive. i think we rented from alamo in cancun.

Hi there! Just popped in to say hi, and that I'm going to Akumal w/my husband on Friday, in 3 days!!! We're also going to dive Cozumel, go to Tulum, and maybe dive the caverns. Can't wait!!!

Back
Top Bottom