Removing violet indicator dye from canister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noctilux

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I happen to have sofnolime with a violet indicator. The cannister now has violet stains. Is there anyway to remove them? No harm of course but just want it to be nice and clean again.

Thanks!

White vinegar. It'll also help clean out the buildup on the scrubber. Be sure to wash multiple times with distilled water after.

Thanks! Just tried it but takes a lot of effort and only removes a little bit. Should I soak it for a while?

Rebreathers are effort. Effort is life. Life is pain. Rebreathers are pain.

Personally I'd chalk it up as a lesson in not using indicating sorb and just deal with the slight flair of fabulousness until it eventually fades away. Unless you dive a P2 in which case I'd want to hide my shame too. Although to be fair if you dive a P2 you clearly have no shame in the first place.

Either way, it's not harming anything, and being a little too aggressive in cleaning could certainly be harmful. In my opinion, just ignore it.

Thanks! Just tried it but takes a lot of effort and only removes a little bit. Should I soak it for a while?
its not soluble in water
it is slightly soluble in ethanol

What CCR are you diving and what is the scrubber made of?

JJ with delrin scrubber. Maybe with (baking)soda?

JJ with delrin scrubber. Maybe with (baking)soda?
nope you need a non-water solvent like alcohol.

You can use a 90% alcohol solution on Delrin no problem. Should be available at any pharmacy. Maybe test on an inconspicuous non-critical spot first.

Thanks, will try that tomorrow!

Diluted hydrochloric is my friend, should see it get that whilte chalky calciferous muck
out of your screens and threads, pure heaven, cleans it out of all the scratches in your
Delrins and PVCs even works on powder coated or painted aluminium housings. WOW!

I'm not sayin, soak your shamwows in it. So just dilute and test this stuff, inconspicuously!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom