Removing the reserve lever from a J-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jordi

Registered
Reaction score
I understand that there can be safety issues involved in my question but is it possible to plug the reserve lever side in a J-valve? Wouldn't that convert it into a K-like valve? By the looks of it, it would be simply a matter of replacing the current thread that secures the reserve internal pin with a blind plug. Is this a stupid idea?
Cheers

Jordi

If you are so dead set against having a j-valve, and if is is modern 3/4-14 thread, and in good shape, you might find someone willing to trade for it...

or, $35 or so dollars for a new k-valve is an easy solution

don't wreck it if it is a good valve....

Why bother?

Correct, I was always under the impression that if you position the lever properly, the "J" process is bypassed and it will function just like a "K" valve.

Correct, I was always under the impression that if you position the lever properly, the "J" process is bypassed and it will function just like a "K" valve.
Yeah. Push the lever "down". It's just that simple.

Lever down, rod delete.

If you are thinking of going inside the valve to delete parts inside of it, just replace the valve.

Thanks for your answers. It is a M25 300 bar DIN valve in very good condition. A new one in Europe is a bit more expensive than you are quoting, 50-60 Euros.
I probably should not bother for that amount of money, finding a blind plug will already cost me 10-15 Euros! But it is most a matter of curiosity since K-valves are way simpler than J-valves.
Cheers

Jordi

We’ve been diving with a J valve on a couple of our tanks with the rod removed for years. No issues, just keep it in the down position and it works just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom