Removing Scratches from Backscatter GoPro Flip Filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The Backscatter GoPro Flip Filters are nice and thick plastic, which make less likely to break, but they're so prone to getting scratches. What's a good way to remove light scratches from the plastic and still leave them optically clear?

You could probably lap them. That's basically using sandpaper. You'd start at something "rough" like 1000 grit and work your way up.
1500/2000/4000/6000/8000/10000/12000/14000 Grits are what I'd try.

The thing about lapping is that it's very time consuming and if you don't already have the sandpaper it probably costs far more than replacing a gopro flip filter.

There's instructional videos on youtube and other places on the net. Don't get discouraged. When you start out, the material you're lapping will probably look worse than before you started. So if you start, you're committed to finishing or trashing it.

You can get paper or powder or paste up to 200,000 grit if you want. 14,000 is probably going to give a better finish than when the filters were made in the first place.

Edit: I looked it up. Replacement filters are around $20. I'm guessing you'd spend close to $50 to get the papers for lapping them.

I don't have to worry about my Flip filters getting scratched, I just break them every other dive trip. :oops:

I've got the GoPro 6 Black with the Flips (dive and deep), and I've never really liked the color cast. I did a bunch of research, and Bluewater Photo insists you don't nee any filter with the 6 Black. I'm going to give that a shot my next trip. Of course, you will need lights beginning at 30 or so, depending on conditions, and for that I have the "let-the-Kraken-loose" 5000 lumens monster.

Here's the Bluewater link: Guide to GoPro Filters for Underwater Video

and:

The scratches are in clusters, so actually are enough to act as a group to diffuse the clarity... or are these too minor to matter?

IMG_20190508_1629002.jpg

Are you consistently seeing a lack of clarity in that spot of the footage?

If so, then a progressive polishing may be necessary, as described above.

But if not, your best bet might he yo leave it for now until it's really noticable, then polish or replace*.

*As mentioned already, definitely easier, probably cheaper to replace the individual filter.

For small scratches on plastic and rubber marks, try paper towel with a dab of Brasso. Brasso is 15-20% silica powder and will harmlessly polish-up any kind of plastic, stainless, and glass. Rinse. I just buffed up my Backscatter using exactly this process a moment ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom