Removing rust from Fabers without damaging paint

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamaverick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently bought a 5 yr old set of whire Faber HP100s that were doubled. After removing the bands, I found rust on top of the paint where the bands rusted. I don not think the tanks have rusted below the paint. Any tips for removing the surface rust? Obviously I do not want to damage the paint under or around where I am cleaning.

Thanks.

... I don not think the tanks have rusted below the paint. ....

If the rust truly has not broken the paint, then Goof Off in the yellow can will remove the stain but not harm the Faber white paint if you only use a paper towel. Don't use a cloth towel.

Super Iron Out. Buy at the grocery store in the cleaning supplies section, use according to label instructions. Will not hurt the paint. Will not hurt steel.

Just leave it alone, the rust is not from the tanks its from the bands and nothing more than a cosmetic color change

Agree with above. Most likely the bands stained the paint.

Naval jelly
Naval jelly does a pretty good job of removing many paints, too, if left on too long. I wouldn't chance that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom