Removing Handles From Tray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

folivier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just bought a used tray and wanted to move the handles to a position better for my hands. Of course the stainless bolts are frozen to the aluminum tray. Not unusual and what I kinda expected but what tips can I use to remove them without breaking the bolts?
I thought about putting it in boiling water then spraying with PB blaster, or putting in an oven about 200-250 F then spraying with PB.
Any other suggestions before my wife runs me out of the kitchen?

There are 3 ways to unfreeze stuff
- vibration
- penetrating oil
- very high heat
Combinations may help.

Put the penetrating oil on first. Multiple times and give it time to work over several days. Quick heat up with a blow torch and then a few light raps with a hammer.

I do not think boiling water or oven will work as you only want to heat 1 part of the frozen stuff. Heat works by having 1 part expand and not the other.

Yesterday I heated up the bolt and sprayed with PB blaster. No luck. Today I sprayed with Deoxit and the bolts came right off. I have Tefgel on order and will reassemble using that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom