Removing BC for long surface swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowieDean

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
If I know I’m going to have to do a long surface swim I like to inflate my BC, remove it, and use it like a “kick board” I find that buy doing this I can cover long distances without getting tired and it gets my head high out of the water so if it’s ruff I don’t get splashed in the face.

My question is. Is this an unsafe practice as I would not like to suggest this to others if it poses hazards I have not thought about…

What do you guys think are the positives and negatives of doing this….

Please fell free to be Brutal as I am asking this to learn as much as possible…

Thanks for your input

absolutely not a safe practice. What happens if a swell, rogue wave or some other force knocks you from your BCD? Just my humble opinion.

Presumably you have a weight integrated BC or thats a very dangerous practice.

I wouldnt do it, i can swim better with my BC on, the sea is never calm enough for swimming without it plus if you DO have weight integrated and catch a dump you could lose all your gear as it sinks in front of you.

Depends on the conditions. When rough, then not a good idea. When calm, I do it too. I see no issue with it when done in appropriate conditions.

Can't find it, but I've seen a scuba cart that floats and have a motor so it can drag you out to you dive spot.

ShakaZulu:
Can't find it, but I've seen a scuba cart that floats and have a motor so it can drag you out to you dive spot.

Isnt that called "a boat" ?

I find it much more comfortable to just lie back and casually fin, at least in water surface conditions I'd dive in.

HowieDean:
If I know I’m going to have to do a long surface swim I like to inflate my BC, remove it, and use it like a “kick board” I find that buy doing this I can cover long distances without getting tired and it gets my head high out of the water so if it’s ruff I don’t get splashed in the face.

My question is. Is this an unsafe practice as I would not like to suggest this to others if it poses hazards I have not thought about…

Thanks for your input

I would think in calm conditions, if it's more comfortable to remove the BC, and it's weight integrated, why not?

It may also depend on the type of BC you are using. If I'm wearing a Back Inflate weight integrated BC, IMO it's more comfortable just getting on my back, and kicking. If I'm wearing my BP/W, removing the BP would be somewhat dangerous as I'm wearing a weight belt.

I'm not clear why removing the BC is more comfortable for a surface swim, but I'd need to try it out before passing judgment.

HowieDean:

Thanks for your input
No need to be brutal ... but I guess my answer about whether it's "unsafe" depends entirely on where you put your weights, and how buoyant your BCD is without you in it.

If you're wearing a weightbelt, then consider what would happen if you suddenly became separated from your BCD ... most likely you'd sink like a rock, and your breathing supply wouldn't be with you. Chances are that you'd be able to jettison your weightbelt ... but we don't live in an ideal world and that kind of situation can easily lead to a panic situation. That's something you want to avoid at all costs.

If your BCD uses an integrated weight system and you suddenly became separated from it, then you'd float ... due to the inherent buoyancy of your exposure suit. So you'd be OK.

Personally, I just do surface swims in my rig ... on my back. I can kick like that for long periods of time without getting tired. And the advantage, of course, is that I don't have to put my rig back on when I get there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom