Removable memory for Camera's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wally_lamma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:11: Just wanted to let the group know that I have been seeing really great deals on removable memory from eCOST.com.

Bought a 1gb Compact flash card for 149.00 several weeks ago and I see that they have them down to 129.00 now.
Seen other types of memory for sale there also..

FYI
Chris Radicke

I know that it seems nutty, but the best price I have seen lately for some memory was at Costco. Yes, Costco.

The store I was in last week had 256MB Compact Flash by Sandisk for $41.99 (still advertised at that price on their web site) and they had 256MB Olympus xD (by Sandisk) for $82.99 (or maybe $81.99) although that size is not listed on their web page.

Not the same as the 1GB Wally mentioned, but I am seriously thinking about getting those as backups for my Oly 5050. The 256MB CF as a spare to the 512MB in the camera, and the 256MB xD to replace the 16MB xD that came with the camera.

Just a thought. Costco doesn't carry much variety (of this sort of thing), but their buying power can get some pretty decent prices.

Wristshot

Wristshot....Costco has some good prices, I'll have to check it out. I need a 256XD card. You have the right idea going no bigger than a 512mgCF and a 256mgXD for backup. I prefer that to a single 1+gig card. If something goes hinky, you've lost everything. And unless you're shooting in TIFF or RAW compression, that much space is overkill.

Just my 2 centavos

I prefer that to a single 1+gig card. If something goes hinky, you've lost everything. And unless you're shooting in TIFF or RAW compression, that much space is overkill.

Just my 2 centavos[/QUOTE]

:crafty:

I have to agree with DEE on two accounts one is big CF's tend to process slower and your possibliity of loss is larger. I use these big flash cards as Disks on single board computers to reduce need for hard drive. Biggest card I have for my camera is 512 and I have not been able to fill it up on a dive yet. But I don't have video capabilities on my camera either.

Regards
ChrisR

Keeping in mind that every time you open your housing between dives you are inviting a F****. I have 2 256s 2 512s and a 1 gig. If my batteries can last, I much prefer to not have to open the housing for memory issues.

IMHO, I have found no appreciable difference in the write speed of any of these cards.

These are all Viking or sandisk or lower end cards. No ritek or 45X (yet)

Chris

A while back I got a 256XD from Officemax for 71 bucks. (mail-in rebate) Ordered over the net and it was delivered by officemax to my doorstep :D. Great service!

ChrisM:
Keeping in mind that every time you open your housing between dives you are inviting a F****. I have 2 256s 2 512s and a 1 gig. If my batteries can last, I much prefer to not have to open the housing for memory issues.

IMHO, I have found no appreciable difference in the write speed of any of these cards.

These are all Viking or sandisk or lower end cards. No ritek or 45X (yet)

Chris
I agree with ya...I have the ridata 52x...I have a viking...I can't say that I "notice" a difference.

Wristshot:
I know that it seems nutty, but the best price I have seen lately for some memory was at Costco. Yes, Costco.

The store I was in last week had 256MB Compact Flash by Sandisk for $41.99 (still advertised at that price on their web site) and they had 256MB Olympus xD (by Sandisk) for $82.99 (or maybe $81.99) although that size is not listed on their web page.

Not the same as the 1GB Wally mentioned, but I am seriously thinking about getting those as backups for my Oly 5050. The 256MB CF as a spare to the 512MB in the camera, and the 256MB xD to replace the 16MB xD that came with the camera.

Just a thought. Costco doesn't carry much variety (of this sort of thing), but their buying power can get some pretty decent prices.

Wristshot

Believe it.. Picked up the 256MB over the weekend. $41.99

Still in shock over the price.. Low res shots on the Canon would total something like 1158 images.. It's almost silly.
500 plus on 1024x768 setting..

smay28:
Believe it.. Picked up the 256MB over the weekend. $41.99

Still in shock over the price.. Low res shots on the Canon would total something like 1158 images.. It's almost silly.
500 plus on 1024x768 setting..

I believe it too.... Costco rules... :eyebrow: Way off topic, but buy the filet mignon from Costco's meat department - butterflied and on the barbie.... melts in your mouth....

what were we talking about again?????

Chris,

You forgot that we were talking about memory?

Is that irony or sarcasm? I forget.

W

(figure out why the marinated tri-tip is cheaper than the non-marinated at Costco)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom