remembering doublehose diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What doublehose do you own and why have you kept it? I have a Dacor R4 and it still works but needs a good going over before being use anywhere other than the pool. I remember using it with a J valve 71.2 steel tank (2250 psi) and a 100ft dive was a real challenge using this equipment. I love going to a place like Key West and hearing that a particular wreck is too deep unless you are using Nitrox or a mix. They give me a puzzleing look when I tell them I dove that sight back in the 70's using double tanks fill with air and had additional single tanks tied off on a line for deco stops. Many of the "newbie divers" don't realize how we survived the earlier years without balanced singlehose regulators with all the computerized gauages and the such.

I have mostly Nemrod Snark IIIs, I preferred them over the USD because of the use of a mushroom vs duckbill, which liked to gum up too often, and the later model ones (70s-through 90s) had HP ports for a pressure gauge.
Nemrod stopped making theirs only 5-6 years or so ago; they were also available in DIN.
I fixed both my kids up with newer models 'cuz I knew mine would never be "safe" from kidnapping.

I have a Mistral given me by an uncle in 1968, he bought it in 1958. I liked using it until dive boats would not let me. It has mostly layed dormant except for pool use in the interveneing years. However, I am now fully commited to vintage and have at my disposal an arsenal of USD double hosers. I have two Mistrals, two DA Aquamasters, tow, Royal Aquamasters.

Further, I have three Tekna 2100s
Two Calypso J and Calypso (66)
Nemrod from 66
Several Voit MR12s, various years

The single hosers where mostly bought new by me save for a few recently purchased from ebay to scavenge for parts so they are not counted. N

At present I have a DA Aqua Master and a DACOR diving lung. I just always wanted to own these regs. I grew up with Seahunt and voyage to the bottom of the Sea. When I got certified in the late seventies there was always one double hose rig set up for pool sessions and I had used them several times in a pool at least way back when. Thats of course when you had to do six two or three hour pool sessions on your way to a basic cert. But thats another thread.

Jim

I have two DA Aquamasters and one Mistral that I still dive with. Six two or three hour pool sesions? When I took the YMCA course in 1970 it was two, two hour pool sessions twice a week for six weeks. Now you can get certified in a weekend.

Captain

"When I took the YMCA course in 1970 it was two, two hour pool sessions twice a week for six weeks. Now you can get certified in a weekend."

I took my double tank rig to the LDS for a fill and the "Padi DiveMaster" girl could not figure it out. She started filling it and came back reporting that it was making a noise! Yeah, one of the valves had bumped open and it was slowly spilling air as she filled it! Can you imagine that! Scuba Diver in two hours in one night, Advanced Diver in another two hours of watching videos and color coordinating instructions and DiveMaster in the next weekend! Holy Cow! You would think huh?
I think double hose may be on a comeback. Aqualung has their new Mistral, I don't particularly like it but I think it will be good because it will raise awarness. This is a double hose year for me, all my diving will be double hose and if the Divemasters don't like it---to bad, I'll cut their hoses with my two foot long knife---militant double hose diver! N

Also learned to dive in 1970 with a NAUI instructor at a local YMCA. Had a choice of either double hose or single hose. Used the single hose because it looked more "modern" to my 14 yr old way of thinking. Just recently started using a DA Aquamaster and can see what a missed opportunity I had back then. I have always been minimalistic when it comes to gadgets, computers etc., so getting back to just a j valve, 72 and double hose makes the last several dives like a new adventure......just what I was seeking when I first started to dive!

Learned to dive in '78, first reg was a Calypso J. After years of Sea Hunt, allways wanted to dive a double hose. Passed up a chance to buy a rebuilt DA Aquamaster from my old dive shop in '78 for $25.00 rebuilt. The shop said they really couldn't waranty it, because they couldn't get parts. Spent a bit more last year when I came across a nice Aquamaster on EBAY, really enjoy diving with it. Don't mind a J valve, although I'm considering a banjo this year.

The hardest thing is finding peole to dive with when you don't use a BC, SPG, or Octopus.

First got certified in 1971, but on single hose regs. Bought my first Royal Aquamaster USD in 1976. These days I mostly dive my Royal Aquamasters, but I used my New Christmas present for my vintage wedding this month, my Voit Trieste. I have forty some double hose regs, and keep meaning to tune up or rebuild some of my older Healthways pre 60 models. Diving 6 or 7 days a week for work, leaves too little time for fun.
Aloha Turtleguy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom