Remember Mahahual, Quintana Roo, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjadive

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.. does anyone remember Mahahual Mexico? it was hit by hurricane Dean last year August 21st. Anyway, I'm Julie Minter, the CEO of Blue Ocean Safari Dive Center, and we will be reopening the port on Oct 20th I think, and we have been hoping to see divers in Mahahual. the Reef is still pretty much untouched. We are in the process of organizing an event in memory of the Old Mahahual, if you have any pictures underwater or pictures of your visit to Mahahual before and post Dean, we would love to get a copy in order to put on the panel we are trying to create. Look forward to having some of you come down and lets go diving!!!!
bye for now..

Hello Everyone.. does anyone remember Mahahual Mexico? it was hit by hurricane Dean last year August 21st. Anyway, I'm Julie Minter, the CEO of Blue Ocean Safari Dive Center, and we will be reopening the port on Oct 20th I think, and we have been hoping to see divers in Mahahual. the Reef is still pretty much untouched. We are in the process of organizing an event in memory of the Old Mahahual, if you have any pictures underwater or pictures of your visit to Mahahual before and post Dean, we would love to get a copy in order to put on the panel we are trying to create. Look forward to having some of you come down and lets go diving!!!!
bye for now..

i think i have one or 2, i'll have to see if i can find them.
definitely one of my fave dive areas:D

Hi there!!! that is so kewl! if you do have them, please forward them to info@blueoceansafari.com or visit_costamaya@yahoo.com if you don't mind... so you are a DM huh? when were you in Mahahual? I would love to have divers come down and help us, since the "new Mahahual" should be a divers paradise not another Cancun, if we could get divers to come down to Costa Maya we have some awesome specials for divers, Luna de Plata hotel, Costa Maya Hotel, Matanka hotel, 40 canons hotels, and Dream time dive Center, and of course Blue Ocean Safari, we have all kinds of packages for the recreational diver and of course we are looking for a few proud instructors and DMs to come down for the high season.....
thank you for your help.. YOU ROCK!!!!:14:

hey julie,
when you mean re opening the port thats the cruise ships right?? wow, i didnt realise it would take 14 months to get that up and running again! cancun was re built in 3 months after wilma!!
i ll vouch for good dives in majahaul, i ll be headed down too in sept for a couple dives so i ll look you up before, i dived from xcalak last year.
good luck with the coming cruise ships and divers!

Hi Ben....

well, as forrest would say... you never know what you going to get..... we only got the 3rd largest hurricane to hit the Americas in recorded history.. but dang!!!! we gained beach after the hurricane, to the south of the area, the north area was even worse, but then they built the "malecon" now you can roller skate around, it is looking very pretty, but we are fighting to keep the rustic and natural look it was known for, diving is still pretty pristine and viz is still over 40 to 60 in some areas.. so there you have it, maybe you can come down and help us on Sept 20th for our 3rd annual Intl beach clean up event, it's really cool, all the dive shops get together, the entire town gets together and we collect the trash... and also it help educate the children, and in turn they educate the parents, and we can keep our part of the reef alive and kicking as it is now. Xcalak has some great diving..

see you in the blue!!! or we see you in Chinchorro.....

Julie

nah!!! it is on the project aware website.. still working on things. I'm just happy to get the entire community and local goverment involved.. we have new local "alcalde" and new municipal presidente, so I'm so excited to have them sponsor us. Corona is also a big sponsor and Coca Cola. the main thing is to show them how important it is to keep our beaches clean and protect our part of the MesoAmerican Reef.. it looks just like Roatan.. do you agree???
once we have the website up and running, I will let you know....

KH thanks for the awesome pic of the DreamTime boat, and the original Blue HA! that boat is still intact, but now is sitting in the back of the dive shop...
please send your pics of Mahahual... if you some of the old town, that would be awesome....
thanks...
admin@duegraphics.com
thank you for your help..... c'mon down, and let's do some diving.....

when is the festival for the 1 year of Dean??? is there any specials for diving? if so, what hotels are doing it? is Blue Ocean Safari doing any specials??

Back
Top Bottom