Relief Valve or Un-Filtered Air entry point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobbyp10

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I always thought it was only for real emergencies - IE the air intake filter/line somehow becomes entirely blocked - to ensure the compressor won't run itself dry of air.

Recently i have begun to continuously blend extra O2 through our little MCH-6. We noticed an alarming difference between the pre-compressor O2 levels, and after running through the machine, the condenser, filters, etc to the whip.

If the O2 reading is say 30% pre compressor, the resulting mix will be around 26 - 27%. 35% will be 30% If it is 40%, 32-33%. Almost a sliding scale.

So i ran the compressor at varying pressures to check it, analyzing before, and placing another sensor at the end of the whip. I have checked and calibrated both analyzers on the same mixes of between 21 and 100%. They are both fine and read the same for any given O2 value.

The same difference was shown at all pressures. A major loss of O2.

Where did the O2 go? Maybe a little can be taken by the condensed water, but up to 7%?

Then i covered the hole, which i think of as the relief valve. It is located just after the air inlet filter housing point, sitting in the first piston head cover area. See the attached pics.

When i covered this with a finger, the O2 levels would then read exactly the same on both analyzers.

So, is my inlet pipe restricting the flow of gases into the compressor? Maybe. At no point is the line smaller than the final entry to the compressor. In fact it is probably 50% larger, up to when it enters the air filter housing.

The thought is that the combination of my stick, piping etc may cause a decrease in air availability to the compressor, and thus it sucks in extra air (21%) to compensate, decreasing the potency of my mix.

The mix suffers and i waste O2. BUT the worst thing is that the air going into the compressor is unfiltered!

I went and checked another MCH-6, the same but a petrol model and a little older. Same hole, acted the same when the air inlet flow was blocked, relieving the compressor and supplying air through it.

That's all fine. What i am wondering is if, say we are running just air through the machine, maybe even take out any piping that is used to mix the air and O2, will this little valve be sucking in "dirty" air to the first piston? Even just a little bit?

When i am running the extra O2 through the compressor, the valve always feels like it is just pushing out extra mix from the cylinder, not sucking anything in. Exactly the way it feels when it is running air. But if that was the case, the mix % would stay the same. It MUST have an air entry somewhere. Maybe it's to do with the stick and piping. But maybe it's not?

Is there any way to check that even with normal air, with no long pipes or baffled sticks to deal with, there is no bad air leak into the compressor?

Alot of jumbled info i know. And a few questions, queries.

Attachments

• Compressor relief valve.jpg
    Compressor relief valve.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Comp 2.jpg
    Comp 2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 79
oops ... duplicate entry

Last edited:
That hole is not a relief. It is the point where lubricating oil gets injected into the first stage. You are missing a part, though ... the hose that runs from a crank case vent to that hole. I think that when you replace that tube, your percentages will be a LOT closer between before and after. Of course there will always be a little change but fairly minor.

And wouldn't you know it. Ray's done it again!!

Both of the compressors have hoses coming from the oil check/fill inlet, but just hanging down. Once inserted to this hole, O2 values are running almost exactly the same before and after the compressor.

Cheers mate!

No problem. But, operating that with the hose disconnected most likely left a fair oil slick on the outside of the pump. Give that thing a good bath and keep it clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom