Regulators and Covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

george142

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I hope that I can get some good advice here. I am 70 and have been diving for over 30 years and look forward to a few more years of diving. I usually dive about 2 weeks in the Caribbean in the winter time. Since I don't go more often, I rent a BC and regulator wherever I dive. I am rethinking this in light of Covid 19. Does anyone have recommendations for me to purchase a regulator and octopus setup? I don't want to spend a lot of money but want something that is good and reliable. Also, since I always rented, do I need a full set up or can I just get a regulator and swap it out on a dive shop's octupus?

dgx/deep6/hog or just buy some mouthpieces and ask the shop to swap them if you are worried the disinfectant rinse isn't enough

What about a ScubaPro Mk11/S560 or Mk11/C370 with a R195 octopus Serviceable worldwide

What about a ScubaPro Mk11/S560 or Mk11/C370 with a R195 octopus or R095 octopus Serviceable worldwide

They are fine regs, I would favor getting a second S560 or C370, as it is only another $60 or so over a R195, but at least get the R195 as it is a balanced second.

Your buddy will thank you if they ever have to use it in an emergency.

I hope that I can get some good advice here. I am 70 and have been diving for over 30 years and look forward to a few more years of diving. I usually dive about 2 weeks in the Caribbean in the winter time. Since I don't go more often, I rent a BC and regulator wherever I dive. I am rethinking this in light of Covid 19. Does anyone have recommendations for me to purchase a regulator and octopus setup? I don't want to spend a lot of money but want something that is good and reliable. Also, since I always rented, do I need a full set up or can I just get a regulator and swap it out on a dive shop's octupus?
Trying to be helpful here...
An "octopus" is actually the alternate second stage, not the full set up.
The full set up is a first stage regulator, two second stage regulators, a low-pressure inflator hose, and some kind of pressure gauge, perhaps that is part of a console along with a depth gauge and maybe a compass. One of the second stages is the the one you use -- your primary -- and the oher, typically on a longer hose, is the "alternate" or "safe second" or "octopus" for your buddy.
In order of increasing cost and complexity.....
(A) You could simply take your own cleaning solution for the second stage -- microban works well, as a spray -- and use their equipment. Spray it on, wait 10 minutes, rinse it off. Don't get the aerosol version; you can't fly with it. Get the bottle you have to pump.
(B) You could take a new mouthpiece to use on their second stage; they'll be happy to put it on for you, especially if you leave it on.
(C) You could take your own second stage and put it on the end of their low-pressure regulator hose; takes two wrenches and two minutes; or have them put it on.
(D) You could take your own second stage with its own hose and replace their hose/regulator (takes one wrench and two minutes); they might do it for you.
(E) You could take your own full regulator set and just use it; you'll spend at least $500 to do this. You'll also want to get it serviced, probably annually, for maybe $125 up.

I recommend (A).

Trying to be helpful here...
An "octopus" is actually the alternate second stage, not the full set up.
The full set up is a first stage regulator, two second stage regulators, a low-pressure inflator hose, and some kind of pressure gauge, perhaps that is part of a console along with a depth gauge and maybe a compass. One of the second stages is the the one you use -- your primary -- and the oher, typically on a longer hose, is the "alternate" or "safe second" or "octopus" for your buddy.
In order of increasing cost and complexity.....
(A) You could simply take your own cleaning solution for the second stage -- microban works well, as a spray -- and use their equipment. Spray it on, wait 10 minutes, rinse it off. Don't get the aerosol version; you can't fly with it. Get the bottle you have to pump.
(B) You could take a new mouthpiece to use on their second stage; they'll be happy to put it on for you, especially if you leave it on.
(C) You could take your own second stage and put it on the end of their low-pressure regulator hose; takes two wrenches and two minutes; or have them put it on.
(D) You could take your own second stage with its own hose and replace their hose/regulator (takes one wrench and two minutes); they might do it for you.
(E) You could take your own full regulator set and just use it; you'll spend at least $500 to do this. You'll also want to get it serviced, probably annually, for maybe $125 up.

I recommend (A).
I’ll bet the shop is doing A) with Steramine or wipes, and if they’re not, they should be

The chance of being infected from the rental equipment is pretty low.
Covid 19 is not the only contagious illness around and there are plenty of others eg. hepatitis B and HIV etc etc.
Give the 2nd stage a good wash should be enough.
My personal opinion only. But I do use rental equipment including wet suit occasionally and have never worried about infection of any kind.

Hepatitis B and HIV are bloodborne (also sexual transmission) so oral transmission is not a major risk factor. A better example would be hepatitis A. Vaccination for both hepatitis A and B have been available for decades.

Purchasing your own gear is a far safer bet than the poorly-maintained crap that I have seen in rental fleets; and there have already been some good suggestions in terms of regulators.

There have been some related threads, over the last couple of years; and Covid would truly be the least of my concerns, when it comes to the prospect of rental gear. Typically, that gear is filthy -- and simply traveling with replacement mouthpieces is just about meaningless, since contaminants are often found within the second stage.

From an earlier, related thread:

"Cultures taken from supposedly "disinfected" rental regulators in the past, have issued samples of various strains of E. coli; Clostridium; Salmonella; Bifidobacterium; Cryptosporidium; Staphylococcus; and the lovely Candida, the causative agent of genital yeast infections, and thrush.

"In terms of pollution studies, any presence of coliform bacteria and other enterics -- visible under conventional microscopy -- is a standard indicator for the concomitant presence of viruses. Just expect them to be there. To give you some illustration, we found fewer infectious agents on well-maintained toilet seats, than in or on rental gear . . .
"

WEIRD ERROR . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom