Regulator setup for tmj

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CryptKeeper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I’m a fairly new diver and I’ve noticed the rental equipment is just not comfortable since I suffer from tmj my jaw locks up after every dive. Last trip I was able to realize I was biting down a bit and relaxed my jaw it helped some but still was an issue. I like to have my own gear anyways, I bought a couple mouthpieces to tryout but I’m wondering on some regulator setups. Looking for something that will last and has seamless breathing and a swivel since I’ve read that helps a lot. As I said I’m fairly new (10 logged dives OW certified) so I’m not 100% on all the gear and terms and what’s needed to purchase for my own regulator setup. Budget isn’t much of an issue (I’d rather not spend a ton on something since I’ll only use it a couple times a year but willing to spend the money if it’ll help) but something reliable and comfort is the biggest thing for me. So looking for some suggestions and help on what to buy. TIA!

I’m a fairly new diver and I’ve noticed the rental equipment is just not comfortable since I suffer from tmj my jaw locks up after every dive. Last trip I was able to realize I was biting down a bit and relaxed my jaw it helped some but still was an issue. I like to have my own gear anyways, I bought a couple mouthpieces to tryout but I’m wondering on some regulator setups. Looking for something that will last and has seamless breathing and a swivel since I’ve read that helps a lot. As I said I’m fairly new (10 logged dives OW certified) so I’m not 100% on all the gear and terms and what’s needed to purchase for my own regulator setup. Budget isn’t much of an issue (I’d rather not spend a ton on something since I’ll only use it a couple times a year but willing to spend the money if it’ll help) but something reliable and comfort is the biggest thing for me. So looking for some suggestions and help on what to buy. TIA!

I am not quite sure about second stage but I definitely suggest you to try Aqualung/Apeks comfobite mouthpieces. You will immediately feel the difference.

Apeks and Aqualung regulators comes with them or you can buy them separately.

I suffer from TMJ as well. Most of the larger body second stages are better. This is counterintuitive because they are physically bigger and a bit heavier topside but they displace more water so they're lighter when diving. Ball swivels can be added to any second stage but the big one for me is adding the Apeks Comfobite style mouthpiece. Patent has expired so companies like @DiveGearExpress are able to get generic versions now and that makes a massive difference.

I would contact @LandonL at Deep6 and talk about the Signature series regulators which are what I am using these days. They also have the ball swivels and comfobite style mouthpieces that they can get you sorted with from Day 1

Mouthpieces are widely interchangeable across brands. There are some exceptions.
There are lots of opinions as to which regulators are best. It is best to do some research so you can make an informed decision.

I am not quite sure about second stage but I definitely suggest you to try Aqualung/Apeks comfobite mouthpieces. You will immediately feel the difference.

Apeks and Aqualung regulators comes with them or you can buy them separately.
I bought the aqualung (I think they had it as a spare so not the normal packaging) one that rests on the bridge of your mouth. Seems much more comfy than the rental ones but haven’t been able to use it underwater yet.

I suffer from TMJ as well. Most of the larger body second stages are better. This is counterintuitive because they are physically bigger and a bit heavier topside but they displace more water so they're lighter when diving. Ball swivels can be added to any second stage but the big one for me is adding the Apeks Comfobite style mouthpiece. Patent has expired so companies like @DiveGearExpress are able to get generic versions now and that makes a massive difference.

I would contact @LandonL at Deep6 and talk about the Signature series regulators which are what I am using these days. They also have the ball swivels and comfobite style mouthpieces that they can get you sorted with from Day 1
Awesome appreciate it!

I bought the aqualung (I think they had it as a spare so not the normal packaging) one that rests on the bridge of your mouth. Seems much more comfy than the rental ones but haven’t been able to use it underwater yet.

I believe those will solve your issue. Also note that there are two sizes, standard and small/woman, based on the size of your mouth/jaw structure you can choose what works best. They are pretty universal, you can swap them onto any second stage you want.

I actually do have one of those mouthpieces I believe it’s the one that rests on the bridge so you don’t have to bite down much to hold it correct? I bought a few at my local dive shop to test out.

I believe those will solve your issue. Also note that there are two sizes, standard and small/woman, based on the size of your mouth/jaw structure you can choose what works best. They are pretty universal, you can swap them onto any second stage you want.
Great yeah the one I got I have no idea the size since it wasn’t in the packaging but seems to fit nicely in my mouth. I do wanna get my own gear though so I don’t have to change that everytime and I’m sure my own regulator would help even more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom