Regulator of choice for Alternative Air Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to my reversible (left & right) 2nd stage hose capable regulators question, I wonder how big of an advantage there is in having a pivoting 1st stage turret for improved 2nd stage hose routing. Just wondering??? Lots of things to consider when selecting a regulator for slinging a pony bottle!

not a huge advantage to either in my experience.

not a huge advantage to either in my experience.
@tbone1004 Reportedly your pony dive equipment includes a Poseidon 2nd stage, a non-pivoting turret 1st stage and long hoses. Could your equipment and dive experiences by chance, be less prone to find an advantage with a 1st stage pivoting turret 1st stage regulator than other pony equipment configurations? Just wondering....... I can visualize how a pivoting turret could be an advantage with a pony bottle reg, but I have no real experience to back it up.

@tbone1004 Reportedly your pony dive equipment includes a Poseidon 2nd stage, a non-pivoting turret 1st stage and long hoses. Could your equipment and dive experiences by chance, be less prone to find an advantage with a 1st stage pivoting turret 1st stage regulator than other pony equipment configurations? Just wondering....... I can visualize how a pivoting turret could be an advantage with a pony bottle reg, but I have no real experience to back it up.

I do not believe in pony bottles.
My deco and stage regulators are Poseidon first and second stages with a 40" hose. Change Apeks to Poseidon and it looks like that. Two differences though, I do not bend my SPG's back, and I have a drysuit hose on them to be able to plug into the rebreather.

Swivel turrets mean you can use shorter reg hoses, typically 32" give or take, but it has the downside of limiting the use of the second hose. Second hose can also be used for inflating DSMB's, lift bags, etc. The downside is it makes deploying a bit clunkier because the hose can get caught on itself and cause the first stage to not want to swivel and it also makes stowing a bit clunkier because the hose has come out of the top band so it takes a few more seconds to turn it over and stuff it back in.

rigged_40_large.jpg

I )
My deco and stage regulators are Poseidon first and second stages with a 40" hose. Change Apeks to Poseidon and it looks like that. Two differences though, I do not bend my SPG's back, and I have a drysuit hose on them to be able to plug into the rebreather.

Swivel turrets mean you can use shorter reg hoses, typically 32" give or take, but it has the downside of limiting the use of the second hose. Second hose can also be used for inflating DSMB's, lift bags, etc. The downside is it makes deploying a bit clunkier because the hose can get caught on itself and cause the first stage to not want to swivel and it also makes stowing a bit clunkier because the hose has come out of the top band so it takes a few more seconds to turn it over and stuff it back in.

View attachment 637433
Thanks for the additional use information. I can now cause understand the drawbacks and as well as possible advantages. Brings to mind, Keep-it-simple!
do not believe in pony bottles.

Being inquisitive, why did you make this statement, “I do not believe in pony bottles.” Just wondering!

Back
Top Bottom