regulator help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sungod357

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a new mares reg with about 15 dives on it. It last dive, when I hooked it up and pressurized, I could hear a small amount of air escaping from the reg. My dive buddy( with 250+ dives) said that it was most likley some sand and or debris in the diaphram.

After we hit the water it cleared up and worked fine, just wondering how to prevent this from happing in the future. Any advice on how to clean and or preventivly maintain it would be great. I read thought the manual that came with it, it wasnt very helpful, so any advice would be great.

thanks

sungod

Which part of the regulator was leaking air? The first stage or second? Alternatively, it could have been just the O-ring on the tank valve.

make sure you rinse your gear when you get done diving, even in fresh water just to get any dirt or gunk.

And make sure not to lay your regs down on the ground in anything other than grass or on a ground covering of some type. . .

OHH yeah and which Mares is it??

I just looked at your profile and assume it is the R2 Rebel your having trouble with, I dive with a Mares Axis pro as my Bungied second. I have had some issues with it freeflowing when it gets in the water, we have adjusted it all the way out and it still does it. . . turned me off of anymore Mares regs. . . I take it you are happy with your regs otherwise??

Sungod,

Mares regs are pretty much bullet proof so I would think that your buddy was correct.
The answer to the problem is keep the thing clean (duh). I'd reccomend storing and transporting your reg in a separate regulator bag. It does not have to be an expensive model but at least something to keep it away from your sandy booties and wetsuits. Rince it in as clean a water as you can find after the dive and when you get home. Make sure you don't drag the thing through the sand ect. You would not believe how many people I see doing that.

Clyderyde

Sounds like sand in the 2nd stage. If you exposed the 2nd stage to sand they will malfunction with free flow. You pretty much have to open the 2nd stage and clear all sand out. I usually leave pressure on the system to blow any sand off the LP seat.

Back
Top Bottom