Regulator Geeks 2: Scubapro's Balanced Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I added a little intro to the recording, and a short discussion at the end, revolving around what I've learned from chatting with some engineers after our meeting.
The short version is that case geometry provides a benefit that we didn't account for. That S620Ti with its flat line at 1.0" for all gas flows is probably improved by the lower position of the diaphragm in the water, preloading the valve. It may be close to zero effort in standard diving position at ALL gas flows, which is something that Rene Dupre has been saying all along.
What that also means is that the old G250 that I defended in the discussion is probably sitting at slight positive pressure at medium to high flow. But that's true of all regs in certain positions, and we don't mind that. We just keep a closed glottis.
I think it's only regs that shift in and out of positive pressure during a breath at depth that might be uncomfortable. That's something I'll have to test on my next visit to the Spiegel Grove with a few "hot tuned" regs...

Nice, glad to see the beginning few hours that I totally zoned out on.

looking at the 270 barrel, not that it matters for those who don’t care about the knob but that plastic 270 looks like it’s the same as an s600 barrel which makes me wonder (probably the result of some deep water brain damage) if the S600 knob assembly will fit??
:wink:

Barrel is different part number.
11-600-022 vs 11-270-022
That said, tab position looks very similar.
Might be worth a try. I'll see what I can find in my knob drawer...

Nice, glad to see the beginning few hours that I totally zoned out on.

looking at the 270 barrel, not that it matters for those who don’t care about the knob but that plastic 270 looks like it’s the same as an s600 barrel which makes me wonder (probably the result of some deep water brain damage) if the S600 knob assembly will fit??
:wink:

Barrel is different part number.
11-600-022 vs 11-270-022
That said, tab position looks very similar.
Might be worth a try. I'll see what I can find in my knob drawer...

*I sure hope this does not come off as if I am on some high horse...as if I truly know what I am doing lol*

Speaking of making changes with an adjustment knob on an S600.....

My last S600 rebuild [a few months ago] had me putting the thicker Tribolube [such as when rebuilding the high pressure side on an MK25] on the knob assembly...I figured the heavier lube might work better between rebuilds. The thinner Tribolube had seemed to almost wash away on the adjustment knob since the last rebuild about 20mo ago. I did not notice a major difference in the effort needed to turn the knob...it did feel a bit more like it was "packed full of grease" instead of lightly lubed on the moving parts' surfaces....if that makes any sense lol I will see how it goes.

*I sure hope this does not come off as if I am on some high horse...as if I truly know what I am doing lol*

Speaking of making changes with an adjustment knob on an S600.....

My last S600 rebuild [a few months ago] had me putting the thicker Tribolube [such as when rebuilding the high pressure side on an MK25] on the knob assembly...I figured the heavier lube might work better between rebuilds. The thinner Tribolube had seemed to almost wash away on the adjustment knob since the last rebuild about 20mo ago. I did not notice a major difference in the effort needed to turn the knob...it did feel a bit more like it was "packed full of grease" instead of lightly lubed on the moving parts' surfaces....if that makes any sense lol I will see how it goes.
I’ve used T66 in place of 71 or cristolube, I think you’ll be ok.

If the case of the 270 is the same as the 620 then the barrel isn't compatible backwards. Someone put up pics of the 620 in another thread and the square key of the barrel is rotated 45 degrees

If the case of the 270 is the same as the 620 then the barrel isn't compatible backwards. Someone put up pics of the 620 in another thread and the square key of the barrel is rotated 45 degrees
I forgot about that but the knob end doesn’t key in so this, which may not work at all, is just an idea for replacing the non adjuster with an adjuster, the barrel would still be the 270.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom