Regulator Geeks 2: Scubapro's Balanced Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something we did not "geek out" enough about:

What are people's thoughts about steel orifice vs delrin orifice?
It’s not something I worry about but if I had both in front of me And I wanted easy tuning for top performance I would use the steel.

The Delrin one is very light. If you drop it on the floor, nothing happens. A brass one would be toast.
That said, you can't polish the Delrin one worth spit. You get 1.0" on a good day, if you want to tune that light - you just can't shine it up to mate with the LP seat as well as metal.
That also means that on the D400, plastic was junk if you wanted to tune to 0.6". Just can't be done.

The factory says it sheds ice better. And ice formation on that point of adiabatic cooling from 135 psi to zero is significant...for a few people.

I've come to hate them less over the years. They do work and are extremely forgiving of us DIY guys.

Something we did not "geek out" enough about:

What are people's thoughts about steel orifice vs delrin orifice?
After working with commercial divers, I've found the brass ones are easier to clean. I've also had a few of the delrin ones split inside the barrel when trying to remove them.

Tuning the brass ones is also easier, as noted above.

Oh, they are chrome plated brass, in regs like the G250V? Not steel?

Oh, they are chrome plated brass, in regs like the G250V? Not steel?
Correct. Some have gold plating.

I got steel ones, IIRC, from Vintage Double Hose. I was led to believe that they were more consistent to tune and last longer...if I also remember correctly lol I was told that the delrin orifices were easy to nick the knife edge of when removing from the air barrel...and then it would need to be replaced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom