regulator environmental seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris1965

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Other than cost, is there any disadvantage to having a regulator that is environmentally sealed? (mostly travel and warm water use)

No. It simplifies the rinsing and daily maintenance process as water (and assciated salt, silt, sand, etc.) does not get inside the reg.

Performance wise, there is no reason to worry about it one way or the other unless you have a specific need for the sealed first stage. The only real differences will be for the technician when he/she services your equipment.

It's a fantastic selling point, too. Sounds so "technical".

For the forgetful types, it's awesome. Tossed it in the rinse bucket before putting the cap on the inlet. Whew!!! I've never heard of a disadvantage to it.

For the forgetful types, it's awesome. Tossed it in the rinse bucket before putting the cap on the inlet. Whew!!! I've never heard of a disadvantage to it.

That is not an enviromental seal, that is a inlet seal- totally different things.

That is not an enviromental seal, that is a inlet seal- totally different things.

Oh yeah...I was thinking the ACD function closed seals it from water entering. Still, never heard of a draw back to environmentally sealed regs.

There are no real disadvantages only advantages.
No. 1 They help keep a 1st stage from freezing up in cold water.
No. 2 They keep sand, gunk, muck, salt and other stuff from getting in to the hard to rinse out areas of the reg.
The only disadvantage that I know of is the regs that use christolube and not a diaphragm for sealing is that the service techs find the christolube to be a pain to deal with when they service the reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom