Regs comparable to the MK25/S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ADeadlierSnake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im curious what regs out there are comparable to the MK25/S600 in terms of performance. I own 3 of said regulator (for my singles rig and my doubles rig), and now that I am moving into tech, I am looking for a reg for a deco bottle. I would love for that reg to be a MK25/S600, however I am not going to limit my search to that reg alone, since those tend to get snatched up incredibly quickly. So I would like to know what other regs I should pay attention to if I happen to see them on craigslist, or hear about someone selling them. So which ones do you all love?

MK20 1st stage with either G500 or G250 would be very comparable. The G500 is sort-of the predecessor to the S600, and later versions of the G250HP were very similar except in a larger case. But you might consider going simple for a deco reg. For example, a MK10/G250 (pre 'HP' or 'V') would perform extremely well, both stages are older, simpler, extremely proven versions of the current SP balanced piston/barrel poppet regs.

Personally, I love MK5s, but I'm assuming you want a DIN set up, and the MK5 DIN situation is trickier. The MK10 uses the same DIN retainer as the current SP 1sts. I also love the metal case 109, converted to balanced/adjustable, and the D series 2nds. But the ones I listed are probably closer to what you have.

I would recomend the Oceanic Delta 4.2

apex, hog, oceanic, zeagle......all pretty similar

I use apex xtx50/ds4 for back gas and oceanic GT3/CDX5 for deco/stage regs

Is it for a 100 O2 or much lover lower o2 levels ?

I put topics on different forums sometime ago about O2 reg and after collecting different info I decided to use MK2 Plus with S600. because MK2 is very simple and does not have dynamic o-rings on hp side

I assume you also want a second stage that can have the purge cover removable under water ? I never understood the obsession with that feature even with soft purge seconds which do not have movable parts in the purge and are not blocked by the sand. I was always able to clean them even after the stages are picked from a silt.

Last edited:
For O2 I use a Scubapro MK2 and R395. It's a 20' MOD, no need for anything more IMO...really they work great at 70' on 50% too. My others are DiveRite 1208s. None are as nice as a MK25/S600, but IMO they don't need to be.

Stay with the same brand, it'll make servicing a lot easier. There's no difference between the MK25 & the MK20; if anything, I prefer the MK20 with 1 less moving part, but they can only be found used. And the MK2 is plenty good enough for shallow deco's.

Got to try a Scubapro Mk25/S600, a HOG D1 along with my Atomic Z2. All breathed similarly. I thought my Z2 was slightly easier but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't completely a placebo effect. Most high end regs breathe the same. Now, which hose configuration, weight, warranty, ergonomics, etc. do you prefer?

My GUE fundies instructor had Halcyons which are rebadged Scubapro. I doubt that your MK25/S600 would ever let you down, even in the most adverse condition, provided that you properly service and handle them.

C.

Back
Top Bottom