Reg tends to be pushed out of mouth with turning head to the right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saboteur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anyone had this problem with their reg, and if so what did you do to correct it? Shorter or longer hose? Going to a braided flex hose? Some sort of swivel? The reg has a 30 inch rubber hose currently. Thanks.

For optimal comfort with hose routing and head turning I use a mouldable mouthpiece (seacure or JAX) and the below hose routing. I can turn my head quickly in any direction and the reg is barely tugged at. Optimal hose routing also depends on your first stage port configuration.
upload_2018-9-10_6-37-3.png

+1! What @chris kippax said! This configuration is awesome!
I use a 40" hose tucked under my arm (a little longer than what is pictured above), with the bottom of the loop on a hose keeper clipped to the bottom of my bcd or wing. I recently returned from a week of concentrated diving in Grand Cayman and have fine tuned the picture above as follows:
1) The 120 degree connector as pictured on the primary second stage STILL gave me just a hint of torque in my mouth. I just switched to a 90 degree connector, which is now perfect. When I started, it seemed as though 120 degrees was the perfect angle as the hose led down under my arm, but underwater it turned out to really want to head straight down my chest. But with either choice of angled connector, this arrangement COMPLETELY eliminates any tug when looking in either direction. (Plus, switching to primary donate on a longer hose gives you a little more flexibility with your hypothetical OOA buddy).
Second change: my necklace to the alternate second stage was a little too small. I initially wanted my alternate almost reachable without using my hands, but found that the bungee pulled on my neck a little when it was that close. I made it a little larger, though not hanging down as much as this picture. On the other hand, I found that my 22" hose was too long, and pushed on my mouth a little when pressurized. I switched to an 18" hose which is perfect in Miflex, but might be a little stiff in ordinary rubber.

Try this arrangement. I think you'll like it!

+1 to the swivel configuration. I use the swivel from piranha dive manufacturer.

OK ,,,well some one has to say it,,,,,,,Always look left!!:wink:

+2 on the swivel configuration. Although, I normally have my primary connected to a FFM, as shown in my avatar. But I have a conventional 2nd stage fitted with a quick disconnect so I can change over to it in seconds if necessary and don't have any push/pull.

Whoa! Looks a bit "technical"...:) for me. Does the swivel work only with a longer primary hose under the arm or would it work keeping the standard over the shoulder conventional length set up. Or do you have to go the whole cave/DIR/tech type setup with alternate on necklace etc.

Another vote for 40" under arm with swivel.

I promise it's no more technical than your current setup, but is a ton more comfortable. I also like it for pre and post dive as well. With a bolt snap, you can clip your reg to a D ring = less dangles, especially good for crowded dive boats and choppy seas.

Going to a necklace setup is nice, but there is no firm requirement for it. You can simply swap to a longer hose, keeping the rest of your setup the same.

For a <$30 experiment I think it's well worth a try. I'm a fan of the UltraFlex rubber hose from Piranha, paired with their 90 swivel. I think the hose is like $17 and the swivel is like $10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom