reg setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrMojo

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have decided on the regs i wish to buy Apex 200 and atx 40 oct +there 3 in 1 console and bag for just over 600 dollars in your currency,but my question to you experts is how easy are these to set up from the box.There is a dive show in Uk next month and i will wait to see if i can get a better deal but which ever route i decide i knew i will end up with a hand full of boxes .My local store said if someone turned up with said boxes he would refuse to put them together as they did not buy from him.Is there any special ways or anything to be added to the threads before putting together,all advice welcome.

Regards,

MAL..

Mal
It is not hard to put together a set of regs, you need the right size allan keys to take the port plugs out, and a couple of the right size spanners to tighten up the hoses. and about half an hour of your time, you just have to put the right hoses onto the right ports on your first stage. The second stages should already be attched to the hoses. You may also need a pot of silicon grease to lubriacte the Orings, if they have not been done from the factory.

If you have not done it before I would be getting somone that has to give you a hand.

Your LDS sounds like a dick and if I where you I would go find another one.

MrMojo

What's that in real money, not monopoly money?! :jester:

I don't think that you will find that any cheaper in Brum next month - the reason is that they are not allowed to discount by more than a certain amount. If you do find something really cheap, chances are it is old, old technology - or a closing down sale!

Also speak to your LDS if you find it cheaper - they may match the price. If you are sensible with them, they are normally sensible with you - that's been my experience anyway.

The show is a great place to view all the latest stuff, see what holiday destinations are out there (my number on reason for these shows), going to the presentations (number 2 reason) and buying little bits and pieces (those fin straps your LDS can never get hold of....)

Check out the Wreck Ferret site as I think a bunch of them are getting together - unfortunately I will not be able to join in.

Jonathan

Thanks S-D for the good advice.The local guy is not really a dick but i think he is a bit tired of the internet.I asked him if he was getting a group together to go to the dive show and his answer was"why the f**k would i what to take a bunch of people to a show where they can get big discounts on dive gear" so grumpy with no website, yes

Johnathan yes i will be going to brum next month but i do not knowwhat deals are avaliable and if they beat the ones on the internet isaw the deal here [URLhttp://www.diverswarehouse.co.uk/[/URL] the deal they offer is for £440 and i can not see it being old techno.Just click on the apex link and go to nearly the bottom of the page let me know what you think.i am also looking at buying a custom divers TBK sports single bladder so if you have any views on this piece of kit i would also be intrested in hearing them.

Regards,

MAL..

MrMojo once bubbled...
Thanks S-D for the good advice.The local guy is not really a dick but i think he is a bit tired of the internet.I asked him if he was getting a group together to go to the dive show and his answer was"why the f**k would i what to take a bunch of people to a show where they can get big discounts on dive gear" so grumpy with no website, yes

Judging by what you have said, he is a prick. He could just have easily made $10 and told you he could put the stuff together for you. When I was a firearms dealer, we were highly competitve among the other local dealers. However, if someone came in with a gun they bought somewhere else, we would help them anyway they could. This guy is an a**.

Oh, and 600USD for what you are getting is a great price!

If you do decide to assemble your own rig, remember that it is primarily the o-rings that seal the components. You don't need to crank the hoses down like lug nuts on your car wheels. Finger tight, then perhaps just a bit more with the spanner. On lubrication, don't "glop" the threads and o-rings! If you have a tiny bit on your fingertips, and rub off the excess, then rub your fingers over the o-ring, that should be plenty.

I can relate to the LDS position -- and also the suggestion that you pay for the service. Perhaps you might smooth the situation by asking that the rig be set up and that you pay for a bench test? You've got some good prices on the rig, what about $20 to the LDS for the piece of mind that it is all set up properly?

Have you looked at diveinn? I was going to buy a similar rig there (or simplyscuba in the UK) until I started working with a reputable LDS that, while bound by the US 10% maximum discount on certain lines, was able to give wonderful discounts on other equipment (or services) that I acquired at the same time. All in all I recieved "value" close enough to the price difference between mail order and "list -10%" pricing that I bought local.

Three-gauge console?? I may not be DIR, but I do believe in the idea of streamling and not having a lot dangling from you. If you have a wrist-mounted computer and compass, you can (and should, IMHO) get away with just a good SPG.

Thanks for all the advice i have just ordered my regs via mail order i got a even better deal than i mentioned before .Apex ATX 200 + ATX 50 octo + apex spg and reg bag for £345 ($510) and should arrive in the next couple of days.I will take them to some in my diving club who will hopfully put them together for me and also teach me as well ,i will let you know how i get on..

Regards

MAL..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom