Reg setup and gear progression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the end I decided to go full redundant with a 40AL pony and two regs. I'm going to run the same rig whether solo or partnered and so will go with a 5' hose on my primary second stage.

I think "in the end" is extremely relative. Most of us have switched configurations so many times it's unreal. My basement (and wife) shames me for it every time I walk downstairs.

Do yourself a favor and just log as many hours as you can in the water. I'd much rather dive with someone who has 100 hours and sh!try gear than someone who has 5 hours and the best gear. No matter what you do now, your gear will change after you hit 50 hrs, 100 hrs, 200 hrs...

As for solo diving you're an adult. Only you can know your own limitations. The word "solo" has different meaning for different people. Being 90' deep "solo" in the engine room vs being 20' deep "solo" in a puddle on the platform are very different. Know your limitations and be smart.. listen to that little spidey sense and don't get into scary situations.

From my own experience, "in the end" (so far anyway!) I wound up with 7' long hose, bp/w, set of doubles, in a drysuit.. my gear changes have really come to a crawl (thank goodness!). It's versatile and works in all the diving that I do (mostly cold murky ocean or quarry). It is so nice that the only thing I have to "plan" is what depth and what mix to take. Everything else is the same.

Good luck!!

Dive every dive as a solo dive regardless of how many others you’re diving with.

octo/inflators are fine and can actually be used with a primary donate 40” under arm neckless secondary just fine, if you’re a big guy you may want to look at a 24/26” hose for that.

the pony is an emergency bail out, practice with it a lot so it’s second nature, charged and valve off or on doesn’t matter so long as you pick one and get used to it, I prefer charged with valve off and slung so it’s easy to see everything.

Atomic is good but may not be the best choice for a pony because of the outside chance that it ends up not charged and water can migrate past the second stage due to the seat saver.

join a club perhaps dive with others until you find someone you like diving with and hanging out with because you may end up traveling on dive trips with them.

get the dive count up, not to define yourself as a diver but to become a more confident diver, read “confident“ as competent.

If they can't comprehend how to use that setup for a 1 in 1000 scenario after a clear briefing then they probably shouldn't be diving.

I have no idea if they have comprehended anything until there is a problem at 90ft. I don't know if they hit the bong the night before, forged their medical release (or their cert card), if they were trained by idiots, or if they panic easily. All I can do is wear a setup that they most likely trained against (and are wearing themselves) to mitigate risk to both of us. Stranger buddy = danger buddy is a rule that has not yet failed me.

I have no idea if they have comprehended anything until there is a problem at 90ft. I don't know if they hit the bong the night before, forged their medical release (or their cert card), if they were trained by idiots, or if they panic easily. All I can do is wear a setup that they most likely trained against (and are wearing themselves) to mitigate risk to both of us. Stranger buddy = danger buddy is a rule that has not yet failed me.
Stranger buddy to me comes down to the briefing. If I'm not comfortable with the idiot then I won't dive with them. If I'm at a shop dive I'll express my concerns with the ring master of this particular circus. If that fails I take my signed waiver back, tear it up and go solo. At no point am I going against all odds that someone might revert back to something they heard and minimally practiced during training. A comprehensive pre-dive brief and BWRAF promote better diving buddies than changing my style and gear for them.

Stranger buddy to me comes down to the briefing. If I'm not comfortable with the idiot then I won't dive with them. If I'm at a shop dive I'll express my concerns with the ring master of this particular circus. If that fails I take my signed waiver back, tear it up and go solo. At no point am I going against all odds that someone might revert back to something they heard and minimally practiced during training. A comprehensive pre-dive brief and BWRAF promote better diving buddies than changing my style and gear for them.
Too many of my favorite dive locations are well outside the boundaries of the 'English first' world; when the pre-dive breifing is in three languages it's hard to trust that your chat with 'stranger buddy' gets the point across.

Totally understand that going solo is an option for some people; for me, I want the known safety of a buddy. It is a proven way to increase diver safety. Giving up my custom reg setup for a rental reg is not a big deal - I still have the Airsource 3 on my Rogue BC, but now I have a traditional octo also, and that makes it easier for others to buddy up with me when the thing we share is not a common language and is just a common desire to go diving.

Thankfully it is not a common need. We'll be in Raja for a few weeks in Oct and will dive together like we always do, but she isn't keen on night dives and so I'll come home with 2 more dives than she will have logged and on those dives - especially as they will be night dives - I'll probably use rental regs to avoid confusion with whatever buddy from whatever part of the world I dive with those evenings.

Too many of my favorite dive locations are well outside the boundaries of the 'English first' world; when the pre-dive breifing is in three languages it's hard to trust that your chat with 'stranger buddy' gets the point across.

Totally understand that going solo is an option for some people; for me, I want the known safety of a buddy. It is a proven way to increase diver safety. Giving up my custom reg setup for a rental reg is not a big deal - I still have the Airsource 3 on my Rogue BC, but now I have a traditional octo also, and that makes it easier for others to buddy up with me when the thing we share is not a common language and is just a common desire to go diving.

Thankfully it is not a common need. We'll be in Raja for a few weeks in Oct and will dive together like we always do, but she isn't keen on night dives and so I'll come home with 2 more dives than she will have logged and on those dives - especially as they will be night dives - I'll probably use rental regs to avoid confusion with whatever buddy from whatever part of the world I dive with those evenings.
The language barrier makes things so much more difficult and understand completely. I almost agree with using a setup consistent with the local community at that point, but then again I'd prefer solo over different gear. I travel with my pony and the mounting bracket stays on my BC so I always have a buddy with me that gives air whenever I want it and never complains or runs out before I do lol

I travel with my pony and the mounting bracket

Responsible experienced divers always tend to adjust their gear for safety and comfort; I totally respect why you would dive w a pony bottle. Everyone's mileage varies.

For me there are other considerations that rule out a pony bottle. My Rogue BCD breaks down nicely into a 22" carry on rolling bag (cheap Amazon one) which then also fits my reg set (Mk25 EVO/S620ti), a 3mm neoprene vest and hood, booties, a Mares Cruise Quickpack gear bag and 5-6 days of bathing suits and t-shirts. Fins/Rx mask/laptop/computer/shades and one spare day of street clothes come along in my shoulder bag.

Thus: zero checked luggage to dive anywhere in the world w my own gear (my partner's gear packs the same way). I walk onto the plane in jeans/tevas/t-shirt/fleece with everything I need to dive and relax tucked into the bin above me.

Honestly, being able to pack like this has changed my diving more than just about anything else; I need 4 hours notice to head to the Caribbean to dive, and I have a job that allows for 100% remote work so that opportunity is not so uncommon. If someone offered me a massive upgrade to me gear - but the new gear was too big and heavy to pack like this - then I would say no thanks.

Responsible experienced divers always tend to adjust their gear for safety and comfort; I totally respect why you would dive w a pony bottle. Everyone's mileage varies.

For me there are other considerations that rule out a pony bottle. My Rogue BCD breaks down nicely into a 22" carry on rolling bag (cheap Amazon one) which then also fits my reg set (Mk25 EVO/S620ti), a 3mm neoprene vest and hood, booties, a Mares Cruise Quickpack gear bag and 5-6 days of bathing suits and t-shirts. Fins/Rx mask/laptop/computer/shades and one spare day of street clothes come along in my shoulder bag.

Thus: zero checked luggage to dive anywhere in the world w my own gear (my partner's gear packs the same way). I walk onto the plane in jeans/tevas/t-shirt/fleece with everything I need to dive and relax tucked into the bin above me.

Honestly, being able to pack like this has changed my diving more than just about anything else; I need 4 hours notice to head to the Caribbean to dive, and I have a job that allows for 100% remote work so that opportunity is not so uncommon. If someone offered me a massive upgrade to me gear - but the new gear was too big and heavy to pack like this - then I would say no thanks.
Wow, Way to go!
This is the type of stealth that I strive for, even for local diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom