Reg service cost mk25/s600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What should I espectacular to pay? These have been very lightly used since last service.

First, do they need it? IP check? Lock-up good? Freeflow? Issues diving? When was last service?

$30-$50 a stage (lets say 1 hr / stage at shop rate) + parts kits (another maybe $30 - $50 each stage) for a non-intensive (no heavy corrosion or filth).....

Ok, so $100 per stage at 3 stages per set, I guess $300 is where it's at. I can't remember what I paid last time, but I didn't think it was close to this. Perhaps it was /shrugs. Damn inflation...

Thanks for the chime in.

Ok, so $100 per stage at 3 stages per set, I guess $300 is where it's at. I can't remember what I paid last time, but I didn't think it was close to this. Perhaps it was /shrugs. Damn inflation...

Thanks for the chime in.
$300 for an annual service on a reg set? Jeez, I'm not sure if I've ever paid $300 to buy a reg set, let alone service one. I'm a real cheapskate.

The kits are probably $75 for the three stages, which is absolutely insane considering what they are, so that's some of your cost. It's kind of a racket.

It is what it is I guess but it did seem a little steep. My son just pulled the trigger on a complete DR set (3 stages, gauge, all hoses) for just over the cost of 2 services at that rate.

It is what it is I guess but it did seem a little steep. My son just pulled the trigger on a complete DR set (3 stages, gauge, all hoses) for just over the cost of 2 services at that rate.
If you have any interest, at least check out some of the threads related to rsingler's online regulator service course. I think he's doing the dive community a real 'service' (no pun intended) by helping people get away from this sort of gouging.

It's not that the labor is so out of line. Considering it takes me at least an hour, usually more, to fully service a regulator set, and I've spent considerable time learning and improving my abilities and understanding, I would want a fair price, maybe $150, to rebuild a MK25/s600 set. (I have no interest in doing that, BTW) I'm a lot slower than someone who does this all day long and has every time-saving tool. It's the mark up on the kits, which are nothing more than a few o-rings, seats, and plastic bushings, that is truly nutty. The reason for this is simple; they can get away with it as long as those specialized little pieces of plastic are not available elsewhere. And inflating the cost of the kits gives more value to the 'free parts for life' programs that are intended to be perks of buying new from an authorized dealer.

But generally if you are willing to look, you can find less expensive ways to get rebuild kits. And some brands are finally abandoning the old model of required dealer service and restrictions on access to parts and schematics.

Back
Top Bottom