Reg on Necklace/Long Hose .... Clang, Clang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SanFranDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is a newbie question (I'm posting on Hogarthian instead of DIR 'cause I haven't taken the DIR Pledge of Allegiance)

I've been reading about diving with primary on long hose and secondary on necklace. I went to LDS and tried a necklace for the first time. In simulated horizontal swim position, the necklaced secondary seemed to be prone to bumping and clanging into my primary reg.

No one's mentioned this as far as I've been able to ascertain. Is this a problem for anyone? Was I doing something incorrectly? Do you just live with the two regs bumping into each other?

Sounds like the necklace is too long that your secondary is on. Try shortening it up some.

If you tuck your chin to your chest, the backup should be hanging close enough to grab it with your mouth and the bungy necklace should be tight enough that it could hold your backup reg in your mouth if you were to slip the bungy around the back of your head.

The necklace I tried was a one-piece non-adjustable silicone one. It was barely bigger in diameter than my 23" head - maybe 25" circumference. I've got an 18.5" neck so it didn't seem all that loose. When I brought the secondary up to my mouth, there was perhaps an inch gap between the reg (on the necklace) and my mouth - is that too far away? Seems that if the necklace were tighter, the reg would get stuck on my chin as I brought it into position.

But it sounds like CaveDiver is saying that the necklace should be tighter than I had it? Am I understanding this correctly?

Try using some bungie cord to make one. You can either make a loop to secure the reg by tying a couple of grapevine knots in it or you can use some smaller diameter and zip tie the loose ends to either side of the mouthpiece.

Cave Diver is correct. Sounds as if your necklace is made with surgical tubing and does not have a great deal of elasticity. The bungee cord is much more flexible, holds tension well when not being stretched, and will allow you to get the cord around your neck without much difficulty. I agree that if they are banging together, then the back up is hanging too far down.

Try using some bungie cord to make one. You can either make a loop to secure the reg by tying a couple of grapevine knots in it or you can use some smaller diameter and zip tie the loose ends to either side of the mouthpiece.

Thread hijack: Thanks for the link last week Cave Diver! End hijack.

Hi SanFranDiver:

Cave Diver has good advice; I actually have two necklaces (one for each regulator setup that I own), one with a knot on either end of a piece of bungee and then secured to my mouthpiece with the mouthpiece securing ziptie, and another that is made like this and secured with little zipties on either end. Just fiddle with the length before making it permanent (well, almost permanent).

Good luck!
Thomas

Sounds like you tried the Manta silicone necklace. I got one and ended up replacing it with a home made one out of bungee cord as I could get the length exactly right. The manta one was also annoying as it let the regulator hang too low, it was made too thickly and it let the regulator slip out occasionally (always on land though).

Sounds like you tried the Manta silicone necklace. I got one and ended up replacing it with a home made one out of bungee cord as I could get the length exactly right. The manta one was also annoying as it let the regulator hang too low, it was made too thickly and it let the regulator slip out occasionally (always on land though).

I tried the Manta, and absolutely hated it for just the reasons you describe. I too went back to using 1/8" bungee. I gave the Manta away to a Cozumel DM just to get rid of it.

Already posted, necklace is too long, I use to mesure my necklace as the necessary to hold my backup in a position I can pick up the reg qithout using my hands, and the bungee should be able to hold the reg in my mouthif I put it around my head

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom