Reg GOOD or BAD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex6

Reaction score
Could somebody tell me if this is a good newbie Reg. I will only be diving maybe 8 times a year. It is the mares R2 Axis Regulator.
Is it reliable, Can I trust it with my life. It it all around good trustable Reg.

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...&cgrfnbr=1159&parentCategory=954&sort=prsdesc

Mares R2 Axis Regulator

$ 109.95 Item Includes
1st Stage, 2nd Stage, LP Hose

Description
The only regulator with a Mares piston first stage and the DFC system. Its simple construction and extraordinary toughness are matched by outstanding performance, even at great depths. Its surprising breathing sensitivity is obtained through the use of the D.F.C. system for the first time in a piston first stage. This is coupled with optimized cross sections and an over-sized “high flow” hose. The Axis second stage, featuring the integrated V.A.D. system and a coverplate design with calibrated holes, delivers an ease of breathing that is difficult to find even in higher priced regulators.

Specifications
1'st Stage Type Piston
LP Ports 3
HP Ports 1

I'm not familiar with this particular reg or brand but, I would be wary of ant 1st/2nd stage setup that was only $110.00. I beleive that you get what you pay for and this just sounds too good to be true.

According to rodales magazine it is an adequate reg but there is a lot better for the money. Leisure pro has the mares mr 12 and the oceanic alpha 7 sp4 for around $140. One is a diaphram reg the other is a piston. Both are exceptional quality for the price.

Here they use it in all diving centers. It's simple and reliable.

alex6 once bubbled...
Could somebody tell me if this is a good newbie Reg. I will only be diving maybe 8 times a year. It is the mares R2 Axis Regulator.
Is it reliable, Can I trust it with my life. It it all around good trustable Reg.

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...&cgrfnbr=1159&parentCategory=954&sort=prsdesc

Mares R2 Axis Regulator

$ 109.95 Item Includes
1st Stage, 2nd Stage, LP Hose

Description
The only regulator with a Mares piston first stage and the DFC system. Its simple construction and extraordinary toughness are matched by outstanding performance, even at great depths. Its surprising breathing sensitivity is obtained through the use of the D.F.C. system for the first time in a piston first stage. This is coupled with optimized cross sections and an over-sized “high flow” hose. The Axis second stage, featuring the integrated V.A.D. system and a coverplate design with calibrated holes, delivers an ease of breathing that is difficult to find even in higher priced regulators.

Specifications
1'st Stage Type Piston
LP Ports 3
HP Ports 1

The 1st stage has a couple of limitations. It looks on the surface like an unbalanced piston which will get a little stiff at deeper depths as the tank pressure drops. Not a big deal but you might want to be aware of this tendency. Also it has 3 lp ports. If you're diving with a drysuit (or planning on it) then you'll need 4. And finally if you're planning on diving in water colder than about 10C (+/- 45-50F) then a piston regulator wouldn't be my first choice because water gets inside the first stage. This is done deliberately to balance the regulator for ambient pressure but it can be nasty if that water starts to freeze in there.....

Other than that Mares regulators are mostly good. I don't have any personal experience with this one so I'll leave that part to the others.

R..

The R2 is a pretty common rental reg, and I think that's about the only reason that Mares continues to make them. I do believe that you could probably grow with an MR12 Axis a little better ($138 at scubatoys), but the R2 isn't a 'dangerous' reg, it's simply an absolute no-frills regulator. As others have said, it really depends on what you want to do. If the kind of diving you are interested in for the short terms is relatively shallow (<90) diving in the tropics and you're willing to put up with a little harder breathing reg, this is a good choice. There are better choices out there, certainly, but probably not at that price.

If you are interested in diving more difficult conditions, it's probably worth sinking a few more dollars into a reg.

As I've said, it's a pretty common rental reg, so if you are interested in trying one out, you might want to call around to some local dive shops and see if anyone rents it, or find out if you can rent one while vacationing.

Back
Top Bottom