Reg first stage stuck in valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Got home from my DIRF course last night -- hooked my reg up to one of my tanks to rinse the reg.

When I was done, I turned the air off and purged the regs. When I tried to unscrew the first stage (DIN valve), I couldn't get it off.

I tried again later thinking I just had wet hands -- no luck.

Any suggestions? I know I've seen this discussed before, but can't remember the advice.....

...use a large channel lock type plier on the DIN *wheel*... you can pad the jaws if need be... I don't... I just take care not to let it slip... and it doesn't really take much force to get it started.

DON'T use the first stage body for extra leverage... you will end up unscrewing the DIN fitting from the first stage body... not a big deal unless you don't realize that is what has happened and then fail to tighten it back down.

BTW... put a little (very little) O2 compatible lube on the threads. And don't tighten it down so hard next time :eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom