reg barks like a seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burliosully

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,
First I will thank all of you who take the time to help and welcom us 'new comers' to the wonderful world of scuba. In my short time of certification (months) I have learned much on this site.
I understand constant study is required in order to stay safe and have fun in this sport. Complacency is the enemy in any endeavor. I have gotten in the habit of closely inspecting my gear as it is what keeps me alive.
Rescently I have had my regulator rebuilt and found that before my first dive after having it serviced that when I draw on the reg it lets out an odd sound the whole lenth of the draw/inhale. I noticed it during pre-dive checks and expressed concern to my instructor who dismissed it as normal. The regulator performed normally for the dive. No odd sounds occured under water. I checked it again after the dive and it still made the sound. It sounds as though the diaphram vibrates too much when drawing on land. Has any one heard of this? No one else could duplicate the sound with thier regs drawing air on land. Has any one heard of this before and is it a problem? I guess I am looking for a second opinion from that of my instructor.

I had one doing that in the water during my cert, I adjusted the reg with the little side lever and it stopped and let the instructor know when i had the chance, he dismissed it as normal too. never had any problems other than that one reg doing it. Your not crazy and regs do do that at times, but asfar as if its kinda normal for some to do it i dont know

Hello all,
First I will thank all of you who take the time to help and welcom us 'new comers' to the wonderful world of scuba. In my short time of certification (months) I have learned much on this site.
I understand constant study is required in order to stay safe and have fun in this sport. Complacency is the enemy in any endeavor. I have gotten in the habit of closely inspecting my gear as it is what keeps me alive.
Rescently I have had my regulator rebuilt and found that before my first dive after having it serviced that when I draw on the reg it lets out an odd sound the whole lenth of the draw/inhale. I noticed it during pre-dive checks and expressed concern to my instructor who dismissed it as normal. The regulator performed normally for the dive. No odd sounds occured under water. I checked it again after the dive and it still made the sound. It sounds as though the diaphram vibrates too much when drawing on land. Has any one heard of this? No one else could duplicate the sound with thier regs drawing air on land. Has any one heard of this before and is it a problem? I guess I am looking for a second opinion from that of my instructor.

Yes my Zeagle ZX does that above water.

What you're hearing is a harmonic vibration between the second stage diaphragm and the demand lever. Remember the reg is designed to work under water. The denser water affects the dynamics of the diaphragm/demand lever interface; where the reg is fine under water, on the surface it can be noisy. I'd bet that you can vary the noise by how hard you inhale on it, right? It's noisy, but 99.9% harmless. I wouldn't worry about it. You can always take it to a tech and say what he says about it.

I've rebuilt hundreds of regs of all brands and about the only ones that don't do that occasionally are the Poseidon Jetstreams and Xtreams. When I hear that sound in the shop, I just make extra sure I've adjusted the reg properly. I haven't heard any complaints from the customers about this so it's apparently not much of a problem to them either.

Give the second stage a little shake, if you here a tapping or rattle the demand lever has slack in it between the diaphragm. Just needs to be adjusted properly. Most guys just check inhalation effort, but don't check for slack in the demand lever.

Thank you to all. I'm feeling better about the equipment and will follow up with all suggestions. I think it's important to know your equipment, though I'm certainly not qualified to work on regs it can't hurt to know how they operate.

If its barking like a seal maybe you should hit it with a club. I know that makes seals quit barking.

If its barking like a seal maybe you should hit it with a club. I know that makes seals quit barking.

NOT FUNNY!!!:no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom