REELS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nyc aquanaut

Reaction score
Lets talk about reels, I just happen to get the urge to talk about one of the most integral tools in wreck diving.
What reels do everyone recomend?
Why?
Diffrent features?
Prices?
I use a dive rite/140 ft.....u?
thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to use a DR Red reel (lost it) and have switched to an EE Pathfinder. Works well with a Goodman handle in your hand. Have also gone to spools for the caves (Gaps)

Eric

I use Dive-Rite for my main and backup, "Home-Made" for gap and open water.
Rick

I use the Manta reel. They are built extremely well, I recommend you take a look. To follow a thread where some of this has already been covered go here

Rick,

Can you give me a description and material used. Is it similiar to the spool being sold by EE?

ID

Sure ID,
I make the sides out of thick, high impact plastic cut from those thick plastic buckets that pool chemicals come in, or any similar source (lids and bottoms of the buckets are the only places to get flat pieces on the buckets, but I've also used those plastic license plates and sacrificed other box-type plastic containers). For the axle I just use a brass bolt. I've used a short piece of PVC as a spacer, or just stacked four or five nuts on the bolt as spacers. I use a lock washer under the outer nut. I drill holes around the periphery of the sides so I can clip in a snap bolt. My little homemade reels look similar to commercial offerings, but I actually prefer my own as I can size 'em just so to fit my hand and get the maximum size (and therefore the most and/or thickest line) that I can easily handle.
I'm amazed at how few divers carry reels as a regular piece of equipment.. I probably use a reel on 20-30% of the dives where I was "just carrying it." It sure makes those little impromptu searches easier, or marking the anchor when it's a little further from the site than anticipated, or leaving a line to mark a desired exit point on a beach dive, or connecting two pieces of a site that can't be seen from one another... and on and on and on...
Rick

I know in the NE, a lot of divers don't like reels. To much work and if you don't know how to use it, it can be a pain in the butt. I carry one on almost all my dives. I can't believe the wreckers that use progressive penitration. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb

Eric

I carry the little DR Jump/Gap reel on all dives, never know when it will come in handy, but at about $50 apiece, I'm looking to streamline my wallet.

Anything that can be homemade without sacrificing safety is a boon to me.

Thanks Rick for the info, out to the barn.....er lab and start work.

ID, Phd S.E.

Like my pond buddy, I carry a small DR jump reel. Deploying my SMB, towing a dive flag, search and recovery...you just never know when you'll need it. It's small and easily carried on every dive.

It's especially handy for keeping up with Iguana Don in a pond. I just clip it to a D-ring on the bottom of his BC. Then when he disappears into the green gloom, I have a leash to him in case he need to be retrieved from the jaws of a Texas catfish.

Dee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom