Reel for DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to get a reel for a DSMB, I already have the AP pocket reel but it’s a bit small when I use 7mm gloves.

I was about to buy a manta jr but some people in this forum said that it wasn’t really good, but didn’t explain why.

Do you guys have any recommendations for reels ?

PS: I don’t want a spool

I use Manta reels all the time. Get the cave cam, that allows you to lock it open.

The issue people have with a Manta reel and a bag is that they ratchet. So if it were to catch on deployment then you go with the bag. Up up and away. I typically use spools for bag deployment. Like the halcyon ones. I match them to 130% of my depth so there is enough line for current.

I suppose if you were afraid of using a ratcheting reel to deploy a bag you could get a standard reel like a dive rite or light monkey and just use that. But all reels are rather large for the subject at hand... The reason spools are preferred is their size. It allows easy stowage when not in use.

Browse around I'm sure you could find something suitable. If you are opposed to ratchet reels.

Kent tooling

No if's nor buts

Not cheap but the best... In the world

Just go to reels - do not look at the rest of teh site. Just looking drains your credit card. I know :)
I would but:
  • This looks heavy and I am scared of losing it
  • I am scared of killing someone if I drop it :D

Kent tooling

No if's nor buts

Not cheap but the best... In the world

Just go to reels - do not look at the rest of teh site. Just looking drains your credit card. I know :)

Got to agree. Bullet proof and will last to the next Ice age.

SS one is very heavy though. If that's a problem for you, go for the composite.

I use Manta reels all the time. Get the cave cam, that allows you to lock it open.

The issue people have with a Manta reel and a bag is that they ratchet. So if it were to catch on deployment then you go with the bag. Up up and away. I typically use spools for bag deployment. Like the halcyon ones. I match them to 130% of my depth so there is enough line for current.

I suppose if you were afraid of using a ratcheting reel to deploy a bag you could get a standard reel like a dive rite or light monkey and just use that. But all reels are rather large for the subject at hand... The reason spools are preferred is their size. It allows easy stowage when not in use.

Browse around I'm sure you could find something suitable. If you are opposed to ratchet reels.
I don’t understand the issue with ratchets: are they more likely to jam ?

I have never personally had an issue. I use them A LOT. The only way the Manta reel would lock while unspooling is if you didn't fully depress the handle, the rear portion will catch on the spool of the reel as it unwinds. By the time you realize it the bag would either rip the reel out of your hand or take you for the ride.

On a reel without the ratchet mechanism there is nothing to bind as the spool unwinds as long as the tension screw was released enough. So it takes that variable out of the equation.

I attached a few photos up close so you can see the spool on a Manta Jr. As you can see in the photos there are 2 springs under the handle. When you squeeze it, it unlocks the spool. It is possible to squeeze the handle and not fully release the spool if you do not have a firm grip with even pressure. If you use it enough it really isn't an issue.

But as I stated earlier, if it isn't your cup of tea then get one without the ratchet mechanism. The sell the same reel without the ratchet, it has a tensioning screw.

Attachments

• 20190222_165503.jpg
    20190222_165503.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 20190222_165458.jpg
    20190222_165458.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20190222_165541.jpg
    20190222_165541.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 212
I have never personally had an issue. I use them A LOT. The only way the Manta reel would lock while unspooling is if you didn't fully depress the handle, the rear portion will catch on the spool of the reel as it unwinds. By the time you realize it the bag would either rip the reel out of your hand or take you for the ride.

On a reel without the ratchet mechanism there is nothing to bind as the spool unwinds as long as the tension screw was released enough. So it takes that variable out of the equation.

I attached a few photos up close so you can see the spool on a Manta Jr. As you can see in the photos there are 2 springs under the handle. When you squeeze it, it unlocks the spool. It is possible to squeeze the handle and not fully release the spool if you do not have a firm grip with even pressure. If you use it enough it really isn't an issue.

But as I stated earlier, if it isn't your cup of tea then get one without the ratchet mechanism. The sell the same reel without the ratchet, it has a tensioning screw.
Thanks that’s really helpful.

I am a newbie, I am not sure what is my cup of tea :)

It looks like the Kent Tooling is really robust but heavy.

The Manta seems to be really well made as well, less heavy but I read that even the Junior is quite bulky.

At the moment I think I prefer the squeeze system of the manga rather than using the Kent (the Kent is as well not asymmetric, you need to know whether you’ll use it left or right hand)

Um ... decisions :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom